Trailer styles

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
For those of you who pull livestock trailers,do you have pipe sides,punch sides or panel? I guess aluminum is mostly punch or extruded,like mine is.It's an 18' Sundowner.I wanted a 20'.My son wanted a 16'.This was on sale as a last year's model.
I'm sure the part of the country you are from makes a difference,too.Texas and the Deep South probably have more pipe sides.

Nesikep":3b11oqia said:
kenny thomas":3b11oqia said:
Punched side Wilson.
How do you like the Wilson? they look well built.. been looking for a good Wilson or Charmac in about a 20 footer
Mine is a 2001 model that has had thousands of head hauled. Replaced the brakes a couple years ago and otherwise it's perfect. If I was buying again I wouldn't even look at anything else.

Panel side Eby - nice, quiet trailer. I'd like to try a punch side next go-round, either an Eby or Wilson.

Honestly I'm not opposed to an aluminum pipe trailer. I think they'd be fine for all but two months here, and better than the enclosed types for 6 months out of the year.

I have one like this now as gave $6500 for it at a local farm closeout sale, almost 7'x20' length and W&W brand. I have not lost one out of it yet. I pulled a rear hub off a few weeks ago to check the brakes for wear. There was about a teaspoon of dust in there and the brakes probably 75%. The hubs also have a grease zerk on the outside to grease.

BhBjWKl.jpg

I had one like this as I did not like the enclosed sides unless dead of winter, it was almost 7'x20' long. I also didn't like the saddle storage nose front as I didn't need it for cattle. Every time I went to back all I could see was that protruding nose stuck at my back window and could barely see. I sold it, but the featherlite seemed like a good trailer as I bought it from a horse company that hauled horses all over the US. I bet it had 200k miles on it. I gave 8k for it and sold it for $7500 as it needed brakes, some wheel bearings, etc. This was a 95 model and the sides were pretty thick aluminum compared to the new ones I have looked at. Those horses put dents in it and I bet if it was a newer one they would have about destroyed it s thin as they are.

The best trailers I have looked at are Wilson, but you pay extra for it as they are not cheap. If I hauled cattle like Kenny has for years at the local markets I would want one.

Gr1FHwp.jpg

True Grit Farms":1g7r5whi said:
jltrent":1g7r5whi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1g7r5whi said:
Is that my truck I see?

That is it as just flipped over the 33k miles threshold.
I forgot how gutless the 7.3 power stroke diesels are. At one time the 7.3 was the man, it sure stinks to get old.

Mine is the straight shift which is rated a little more HP/torque than the autos at that time, but not the power of the new ones. A 100 hp programmer/chip, gauges, 4" muffler/exhaust will wake them up, but no doubt will shorten the life and still probably be less problems and last as well as the new ones. This hay was bales with the "I" baler which is not as tight as the "M" baler.

cfpinz":2oxncdqq said:
Panel side Eby - nice, quiet trailer. I'd like to try a punch side next go-round, either an Eby or Wilson.

Honestly I'm not opposed to an aluminum pipe trailer. I think they'd be fine for all but two months here, and better than the enclosed types for 6 months out of the year.

Don't know why the "like" shows minus one.

I looked at a punch side when I was buying.Seemed like the walls were not as rigid.Must have been that model.Too many on the road for it to be a problem.

kenny thomas":2wkboi2w said:
Nesikep":2wkboi2w said:
kenny thomas":2wkboi2w said:
Punched side Wilson.
How do you like the Wilson? they look well built.. been looking for a good Wilson or Charmac in about a 20 footer
Mine is a 2001 model that has had thousands of head hauled. Replaced the brakes a couple years ago and otherwise it's perfect. If I was buying again I wouldn't even look at anything else.
We missed out on a Wilson Foreman, 24ft with double deck (for sheep/calves I guess?), all options, for $12K at an auction a couple months ago.. mint condition.. who knows what it would have gone for, but dang that guy got a steal of a deal on it

JW IN VA":dixj4syj said:
cfpinz":dixj4syj said:

Don't know why the "like" shows minus one.
someone probably hit the like button. They thought it didn't work so they hit it again. But It really did work the first time so when they hit it a second time it subtracted their like

I've done that a couple times now

Latest posts