Trailer sides. Need opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog

Reaction score
My current goose neck type trailer has 3 plank sides not stacked. I am considering ordering a new trailer and would like to hear others opinions. I am in Texas so I need some air flow. I am thinking I want 4 plank stacked but with a space open at the bottom. I would rather the animals not being able to see out as much as my current setup. My concerns are that it will make it more difficult to spray or worm the cows in the trailer and make it more difficult for the sale barn folks that tag while the animals are on the trailer.
I also wonder if there is an advantage of the rectangular tubes over the planks.

I am also going to pay extra for a solid top and front. I have a tarp now and have replaced it once but I worry when I drive around low hanging branches. Any thoughts why I shouldn't?

Last I also priced in a solid aerodynamic nose. This would give some storage and a place to put a newborn in a emergency.
Any and all opinions appreciated.

My concern about open bottom is the chance (in all likelyhood) that an animal woudl go down and figure out some way to wedge a foot in the opening.

On my current trailer with non stacked sides there is an opening there. It is the full width of a plank, maybe 6". Never have had a problem and I would think that it is large enough where you shouldn't have one.

bird dog":3azy73on said:
On my current trailer with non stacked sides there is an opening there. It is the full width of a plank, maybe 6". Never have had a problem and I would think that it is large enough where you shouldn't have one.
Neighbor has one that has a gap just about the size of a weaned calfs foot. That has bothered me.

dun":2fdbm4te said:
bird dog":2fdbm4te said:
Neighbor has one that has a gap just about the size of a weaned calfs foot. That has bothered me.

that would bug me too. There is one thing that should always be taken into account with both cows and horses....and that is if it can happen, it will eventually happen to either me or someone else, so I try to error on the caution side.

Latest posts