Trailer recommendation

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought a featherlight alum. trailer last year. Bought it because they seem to have a real high used price, like most alum. trailers do. So I thought I could spend less money on a heavy steel trailer and keep it around for 20 years, and then junk it, or I could buy a more expensive alum. trailer, drive it for 5-10 years, sell it, and probably be money ahead.

Plus scrap alum. is higher than scrap steel.

Cross those specs sound more like a horse trailer. No wonder it's more expensive. They don't want cheap trailers. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":2xdb1s04 said:
Cross those specs sound more like a horse trailer. No wonder it's more expensive. They don't want cheap trailers. :lol2: :lol2:

H&H trailers in Lubbock has one like it on their website for close to the same money but on other sites I see them for around 8500 like Denver and B&M said

Has to be something different about them

denvermartinfarms":18zzogw5 said:
Any reason you have to have the tube sides? I have never had a problem without them, but you may have a need I missed.

I figure it's stouter

cross_7":2trjbb8o said:
denvermartinfarms":2trjbb8o said:
Any reason you have to have the tube sides? I have never had a problem without them, but you may have a need I missed.

I figure it's stouter
Probably is and they look good,but there is a lot of 25 year old trailers around that have hauled a lot of animals without them just fine, and are still in good shape.

Interesting to see how regionalized trailers are for the particular needs, in Cali if you rolled In an open sided trailer or open top you will look cheap to the dot man and he will cite you for pea or poo on the outside of the trailer. Unfortunately that is the way it is here. Lots of silver trailers her I. Cali, kept reasonably clean too, keeps the popo off our tails. We see a few open type trailers, they are usually profiled and getting a ticket. I will agree that alum trailers have the best service life on pavement, not a lifetime on dirt roads. You gotta buy a trailer for what your needs are. In Cali 24 footers can be too long for some of the tight hill country here, my partner has to run a 16 footer and a standard cab truck to get to some of his places, it is a steel Donahue, and it takes a whooping

I saw someone mentioned a triple axle. Usually it's best to upgrade to a heavier double axle over a triple axle because that third wheel scrubs hard on turns. And tires aren't cheap.

Your friend's price seems high for a steel trailer. I would google the name and year and see if you can find how much it costs new.

Have you checked ads at http://www.horsetrailerworld.com? You can do a search for a stock trailer within so many miles of your zip code.

Here's one (WW) on Craigslist in Witchita Falls for $4500. http://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/grd/3862187442.html

3ra3Ga3N25If5L85M8d6ac64ed64fd2661ab9.jpg

ETA: I paid $9000 for my Sooner Aluminum Stock combo. It is 24 feet long. It was a couple of years old when I bought it.

Thanks for the link Chippie
It seems you can get different options on the Gooseneck trailer and cost vary 2000-3000
There is one in Lubbock for 10450 and the one I priced is in Frederick Ok
But I have found some for around 8500 but they don't list the spec's

Google truck paper go to trailers then livestock and gooseneck, roger key in mcalester ok, has a 24" gooseneck tube sides, sliding gate, tarp top, for 9500$ might be somewhere for you to check.

The price difference is the cleated floor, a good option in my opinion. The rectangle sides last forever and wont hold water and rust out. That is not a bad price for that trailer with the options you chose. Your friend is giving you a good deal.

Williams Farms":ianu2okp said:
The price difference is the cleated floor, a good option in my opinion. The rectangle sides last forever and wont hold water and rust out. That is not a bad price for that trailer with the options you chose. Your friend is giving you a good deal.

I agree, on both the floor and the tubing sides. Also the swing/slide back gate, and the LED lights will make a difference in the price, but if that's what you prefer, they're worth the price difference. Sounds to me like a fair price on that trailer.

Latest posts