Trailer questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
We're getting ready to buy a trailer. I'm thinking a 12' just b/c of budget, but could probably do a 16', has to be a bumper pull. How many cattle will that hold? Also, what do I need to get my truck ready. I've got a hitch assembly and and light hook-up. What else will I need?

Thanks for the help.

Around here there isn't much if any price difference in a used 12' vs. 16'. I would buy as big as you can afford and safely pull. If you load a 16' you'll want it to have brakes. You can use it without them but it is dangerous. Depends on cow type, size, etc... I have a 16' gooseneck that I have stuffed 7 1200lb cows on but can usually always get 6 to line up and fit. Width makes a big difference too.

Too much missing here.

How often you planning to use it?

What are you pulling it with?

Do you have the wiring set up for brakes?

How many animals you think you will be hauling?

How wide?

How tall?

IMO - 12 foot is too small - you can get by with a 14 and yes a 16 might be better.

As to what fits in it - how big are the cows?

Look, a 12 footer might do three cows - is that all you need?

It will not do three unless the cows are small and you stack them semi sideways - if one goes down it will likely stay down until you arrive at destination.

14 is better for three big cows and no more - might do 4 but only if the animals are smaller, you might get them in with no probs.

How far you planning to haul?

We use a 14 for local small hauls and hire a neighbour with a 24 for the big hauls.

Do you really need a trailer or do you WANT one?

That is always the true test.

So you can see it is not as easy as you might think.

More info will get you a better answer.

Best to all

Bez

Thank you for the replies.
We will be starting very small, probably a 3-in-1, angus or herf cross b/c that's what sells the best around here. I don't have the truck wired for brakes, but will if I have to, as I'd rather be safe than save $250 (or whatever it costs, cows cost more to replace, that's for sure). We will need a trailer as I won't have cows without one b/c I don't have ready access to anyone with one. It's just my wife and myself doing this. We won't have to haul far as the sale barn is about 12 miles away and there's mobile butchers in the area. Oh yeah, we have a K1500 to pull it with, nothing exciting.

Thanks everyone.

Bestoutwest":thiht2ul said:
We will be starting very small, probably a 3-in-1, angus or herf cross b/c that's what sells the best around here. I don't have the truck wired for brakes, but will if I have to, as I'd rather be safe than save $250 (or whatever it costs, cows cost more to replace, that's for sure). We will need a trailer as I won't have cows without one b/c I don't have ready access to anyone with one. It's just my wife and myself doing this. We won't have to haul far as the sale barn is about 12 miles away and there's mobile butchers in the area. Oh yeah, we have a K1500 to pull it with, nothing exciting.
Thanks everyone.
if its a half ton, then you'll need trailer brakes....

Bestoutwest":2jhamt0k said:

Thanks everyone.

If you are starting small one of the worst things you can spend on is a trailer. If there is a sale barn within 12 miles as you say I will guarentee there is someone there that will haul your cattle much cheaper than you can. Even if they charge $50 a load you will still be better off. A bumper hitch trailer on a 1/2 ton truck puts a lot of strain on the truck. Just hire it done.

kenny thomas":3na5ei7p said:
Bestoutwest":3na5ei7p said:

Thanks everyone.

If you are starting small one of the worst things you can spend on is a trailer. If there is a sale barn within 12 miles as you say I will guarentee there is someone there that will haul your cattle much cheaper than you can. Even if they charge $50 a load you will still be better off. A bumper hitch trailer on a 1/2 ton truck puts a lot of strain on the truck. Just hire it done.

Wise words that should be heeded - call the sale barn if you cannot find anyone - they will have a list as long as your arm

Best to all

Bez

I agree with Kenny a 16 ft trailor loaded with cows will be way to much on a 1/2 ton truck. I have a 16 ft and pull it with a 2500 dodge diesel and with 7 big cows in it u sure know that it's back there I would not want to pull it with a 1/2 ton.

kenny thomas":1m47qy5f said:
Bestoutwest":1m47qy5f said:

Thanks everyone.

I agree. Hauling A few calves a year cant justify a trailer. Find a cheap set of racks to go in your truck, or build them out of treated wood. If its only 12 miles away, you can make several trips if you have to. We built a loading ramp that fastened to the bumper,and they have docks at the stockyard to unload.

We have a 16' bumper hitch trailer and a 3/4 ton truck to pull it and you'll want brakes on the trailer when it's fully loaded. Depending on cow size you can usually fit 6 maybe 7 if you have some smaller cows or heifers in the load.

You probably don't absolutely have to have a trailer for just a handful of cattle. As others have said, there are plenty of people out there who will haul for you for a fee. It's nice to have your own though, especially for an unexpected trip to the vet or something like that. Also, you can haul a lot of other stuff besides cattle in a stock trailer (they're great for lawn mowers, atv's, whatever ... and I know from more than one past experience that you can fit at least all the big stuff from a 2 bedroom apartment in a 24' x 6'8" gooseneck), so if you want one and can afford one, I'd go for it.

14' is a nice sized trailer to pull with a half ton, but remember width makes a big difference. You can get more cattle in a 6' wide, and they're certainly more comfortable for big cows or bulls. On the other hand you can haul about any bovine in a 5' wide (I've seen a few bulls have to back out) and they're not any wider than your truck, meaning a lot of people are more comfortable pulling them and they're a little better in tight spaces and on muddy roads (because the trailer tires follow the pickup tracks). Get a brake controller and make sure it's hooked up and working right, no matter which trailer you choose.