Trailer question....

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Hi all.... I'm looking at a larger stock trailer...its an Eby...but its a 2000 all alluminum.
Question is, dealer said it has some welds done on the corners. I asked why...he said sometimes when people "overload" their trailer the cattle will push against the outsides stressing the joints. He said the welds looked really good (like the person knew what they were doing)...so, do I trust this? Its a pretty good price but I'm just curious. Don't think we'll ever stress it hard...just doing shows and such...not packing it to the limit. What do you think? I'm going to go back and look at it to see what he's talking about but do you all like your Eby's? Also, its got the bottom vent openings...do you like that or do you cover them up? Thought it would give me a good place to tie low but also is going to cause more blowing around of debris. Thanks for anyone's input...

We have a 2000 model Sooner and we love it. Only welds broke on it are on the back bumper and thats from being drug one too many times. I've packed it full on more than one occasion and have had no problems. We also have a 2006 Elite and it is the dedicated show trailer. It has the lower vents and they are nice at getting more air in the trailer but the calves are usually pretty dirty when they get there. Those vents are also like a vacum cleaner in the rain.

Eby is top quality.

I don't like his "overload" answer. He should have been straight with you and told you that cracks will happen with an aluminum trailer. Aluminum can't flex like steel. That's the only real disadvantage over a steel trailer.

If you are going to go with aluminum and it has been welded well, I wouldn't be afraid of it. I would ask to pull it and see how it tracks behind your truck.

Tommy Ruyle":3phtwpzp said:
Eby is top quality.

I don't like his "overload" answer. He should have been straight with you and told you that cracks will happen with an aluminum trailer. Aluminum can't flex like steel. That's the only real disadvantage over a steel trailer.

If you are going to go with aluminum and it has been welded well, I wouldn't be afraid of it. I would ask to pull it and see how it tracks behind your truck.
Tommy,
Thanks....I've pretty well decided to go with it but I think I AM going to order a cover plate for the lower vents as it'll be used for mostly show. And, yes they have Elites there too...just about $5000 more for the same trailer so I'm thinking I don't mind it having a few years on it. I'll check the tires & all though too.
Thanks guys.

The main reason we went with the elite is that at the time it and Integrity were about the only company making a 24ft trailer with a side ramp, 8ft width, and 6ft inside height. Plus integrity is way prouder of their trailers than elite was.

Cowboy 2.0":6cn5nr5x said:
The main reason we went with the elite is that at the time it and Integrity were about the only company making a 24ft trailer with a side ramp, 8ft width, and 6ft inside height. Plus integrity is way prouder of their trailers than elite was.
Don't get me wrong...the Elite is very nice...I'm just trying to save a little but want to be sure I'm not hurting myself by trying to "save a buck".

One more thing I forgot to mention....I read on a post about people's back slide's comming open in transit...I thought it was interesting that the dealer mentioned the previous owner welded the slide shut... I told him I bet he must have had that happen at some point!!

To be a 2000 model with all of those repairs, it must have belonged to an order buyer or someone who abused it pretty bad. Sounds like it's had the snot ran out of it. I'd be wary of the brakes and axles. I've got a 98 Fthl, father has a 2005 (?) Eby, of the two I like the Eby better. We've never busted any of the side welds from "overpacking". Wife has a 20' Eby with a tack room, it's worthy to mention the fenders will not uproot trees.

cfpinz":3fe1q4p7 said:
To be a 2000 model with all of those repairs, it must have belonged to an order buyer or someone who abused it pretty bad. Sounds like it's had the snot ran out of it. I'd be wary of the brakes and axles. I've got a 98 Fthl, father has a 2005 (?) Eby, of the two I like the Eby better. We've never busted any of the side welds from "overpacking". Wife has a 20' Eby with a tack room, it's worthy to mention the fenders will not uproot trees.
So how do you check the brakes and axles?

Wisteria Farms":p5hzegyg said:

Hook to it and pull it, test the brakes with your controller. Otherwise you'll have to pull the drums. If it's on a paved lot and the tires are clean, pull it to a dirt lot and drive a little ways onto the dirt. Note the dirt patterns on the tires, if they're even on each tire great. If they're on the sides of tires and in random bands so it looks like the tires are crooked, the axle(s) may be bent. Vice-versa if it's on a dirt lot. Feel the hubs after driving it a while, if they're very hot it could mean the brakes are not right or a bad bearing. Those things add up.

Tommy Ruyle":1zzlxf4m said:
cfpinz wrote,

...it's worthy to mention the fenders will not uproot trees.

How would you know that??? :shock: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

My wife had a not-so-close encounter with a poplar last year. A very big, solid poplar. Glad that was her trailer.

cfpinz":3rh6hi98 said:
Wisteria Farms":3rh6hi98 said:

Hook to it and pull it, test the brakes with your controller. Otherwise you'll have to pull the drums. If it's on a paved lot and the tires are clean, pull it to a dirt lot and drive a little ways onto the dirt. Note the dirt patterns on the tires, if they're even on each tire great. If they're on the sides of tires and in random bands so it looks like the tires are crooked, the axle(s) may be bent. Vice-versa if it's on a dirt lot. Feel the hubs after driving it a while, if they're very hot it could mean the brakes are not right or a bad bearing. Those things add up.
Great advice...thanks a lot cfpinz!!