Trailer lights

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
I have a gooseneck trailer for hauling hay. Installed a new connection plug and rewired the brakes a month or so ago. Everything worked fine for several uses. Last time I hooked it up, to haul a tractor home, the running lights blew the fuse in my pickup for the trailer running lights (15 amp mini). A changed the fuse and sure enough, blew it again. The cattle trailer lights work fine when hooked up so I don't think it's the truck.
Going to start looking in the plug I changed out (hoping for a loose or frayed wire short). Any other recommendations welcomed.

The brakes, turn signals and brake lights work fine, only the running lights having trouble.

bball":3rxfha7w said:
I have a gooseneck trailer for hauling hay. Installed a new connection plug and rewired the brakes a month or so ago. Everything worked fine for several uses. Last time I hooked it up, to haul a tractor home, the running lights blew the fuse in my pickup for the trailer running lights (15 amp mini). A changed the fuse and sure enough, blew it again. The cattle trailer lights work fine when hooked up so I don't think it's the truck.
Going to start looking in the plug I changed out (hoping for a loose or frayed wire short). Any other recommendations welcomed.

The brakes, turn signals and brake lights work fine, only the running lights having trouble.

Bottle of aspirin then start looking for a bare connection going to ground.

Yep. Got a short somewhere. Working on trailer lights makes me want to start drinking again. Heavily :bang:

If I were you I'd probably start with the plug. Assuming it's a 7 way (or whatever really) make sure there's not a strand or two that isn't tucked completely under the terminal screw. Could be touching another terminal. Also check the brake wires. Suggesting these bc you recently worked on them. Aside from finding it that easily, the problem could be almost anywhere.

One more option, buy a bunch of fuses and start unhooking stuff till they quit blowing. Will help isolate the problem sooner or later. Did I mention that I hate working on trailer wiring?

Oh, and check anywhere that the wiring enters/exits a tube or other place where I can potentially rub. But you probably already did this. Good luck Brad. I feel your pain.

The plug would be my first guess , since you rewired it and it was fine ,a few times . Tin the bare ends with solder , and run the wires through a piece of fuel line at the back of the plug for a stress relief , and then tape it , if you didn't the first time .

Latest posts