trailer light ground

Help Support CattleToday:

S&S Farms

Reaction score
On a self unload bale wagon I can not find a ground wire contact so i assume it is through the ball. I am having problems with intermittant lights working. Would putting grease on the ball help or hinder the connection?

Jeff

No, the grease won't help unless it is graphite impregnated grease. One of the first things I always do on a trailer with a ball ground only is drill a hole in the frame and bolt a wire to the frame to use as a ground. It can be close to the hitch as long as it is frame.

Flaboy is right. If your trailer wiring uses the standard, flat, four pin connector, the white wire is ground. Connect one end of the white wire to the frame of your vehicle and the other end of the white wire to the frame of your trailer.

Had the same thing happen last year on a Chevy truck. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Fella who knew what he was doing, pulled the plug out of the receiver and spread/moved ground thing a little. It went to working, I felt like a dope. He said it happens a lot on Chevies. Sorry I can't explain it better.

Jogeephus":1m4yh6ct said:
Had the same thing happen last year on a Chevy truck. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Fella who knew what he was doing, pulled the plug out of the receiver and spread/moved ground thing a little. It went to working, I felt like a dope. He said it happens a lot on Chevies. Sorry I can't explain it better.

This is on a chevy it started working good ont next to last load.
Thanks for the information.

Jeff

Brute 23":jt14n7pp said:
Earl Thigpen":jt14n7pp said:
Yea, trailers hooked up to Fords don't rust. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Because of all that oil coming out the tailpipe.

Ha, see we solved that. We now light that oil and burn it on the way out. Way cool! Even though I know cool is a term not used anymore. :lol:

flaboy?":1mi24psv said:
No, the grease won't help unless it is graphite impregnated grease. One of the first things I always do on a trailer with a ball ground only is drill a hole in the frame and bolt a wire to the frame to use as a ground. It can be close to the hitch as long as it is frame.

This works every time.

flaboy?":3ujy30e6 said:
Brute 23":3ujy30e6 said:
Earl Thigpen":3ujy30e6 said:
Yea, trailers hooked up to Fords don't rust. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Because of all that oil coming out the tailpipe.

Ha, see we solved that. We now light that oil and burn it on the way out. Way cool! Even though I know cool is a term not used anymore. :lol:
laughing6-hehe.gif
laughing6-hehe.gif
laughing6-hehe.gif

Latest posts