Trailer ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
Broke the frame on my old trailer, so going to build a new one. Will be a a basic 20' carhauler style utility type trailer with 5,200 lbs axles. Any custom ideas or something you did to make yours better? Please share. Still getting metal together and have not started yet.

Thanks

You may already have them or may not need heiver but i would want 7000 axles and i agree about plenty of pockets or d rings we have one that we welded a solid round 1 inch around the outside of the pockets and that can be nice.also what are you doing for ramps?

Some of my ideas are to build a "headache rack" on the front that will be taller than the bed of my truck. Could be useful when hauling metal or anything longer than 25' or so, make chain and boomer rack on it to? still undecided. I am going to weld in some 2" square tube recievers at the 4 corners and middle of each side/front/back and make one of those davit arm lifts to drop in the revciever tubes, to help load heavy stuff easier. for the tie downs i made a cable setup that has worked very good, going to cut it off the old trailer, weld on the new one. Also plan a tie down rail(stake pockets/flatbar) like used on big truck flatbeds...will have that in front and rear of fenders. Fenders thinking 10" channel so I can load hay etc, on top if I need too. Have 1/4" plate fenders I built currently and it is nice being able to load stuff on top of them and using them for tie down points.Ramps I have the ones that came with my old trailer, will reuse them.Spare tire mount is another thing, would like to mount it under the trailer using a setup like on pickups with the cable, not sure I will have enough clearance if i do that.
IMAG0655.jpg

saltbranch":49qa9615 said:
Some of my ideas are to build a "headache rack" on the front that will be taller than the bed of my truck. Could be useful when hauling metal or anything longer than 25' or so, make chain and boomer rack on it to? still undecided. I am going to weld in some 2" square tube recievers at the 4 corners and middle of each side/front/back and make one of those davit arm lifts to drop in the revciever tubes, to help load heavy stuff easier. for the tie downs i made a cable setup that has worked very good, going to cut it off the old trailer, weld on the new one. Also plan a tie down rail(stake pockets/flatbar) like used on big truck flatbeds...will have that in front and rear of fenders. Fenders thinking 10" channel so I can load hay etc, on top if I need too. Have 1/4" plate fenders I built currently and it is nice being able to load stuff on top of them and using them for tie down points.Ramps I have the ones that came with my old trailer, will reuse them.Spare tire mount is another thing, would like to mount it under the trailer using a setup like on pickups with the cable, not sure I will have enough clearance if i do that.
IMAG0655.jpg
I have a headachrack with a set of old pump up hydraulic jacks from an old in bed cab over camper. They do hang out a bit past the sides of the truck but it sure makes it handy for putting the rack on and taking it off.
http://www.riecotitan.com/camperjacks/h ... cjack.html

I found I could buy a new trailer for less than I could build it myself, I got mine from Haulrite which is from Co/NM area I think... I was happy with the build of the trailer, but they really lacked finesse on the final touches... Wiring was miserable, it was all done with pinch connectors which would corrode immediately, and the paint was worthless as well. I would suggest getting a frame with axles from them and doing everything else yourself. I got mine with 6000 lb axles, 16" rims, radial tires (not worth it if you have rocks in your area... too thin and bulgy a sidewall), 20' long, ramps, but I didn't want the underdeck storage for them because I'd lose too much ground clearance, and LED lighting... I paid 4000.. I think when this one starts to give me trouble, I'll get a frame and axles and put my own deck on it, paint it myself, and wire it myself as well... Last week I spent 3 days redoing the wiring with solder and heat-shrink tubing, as well as putting backup lights on it (VERY NICE TO HAVE).

I also got them to put more stake pockets in (which they put in the wrong spots). I'm designing a stock rack for it right now, and I'll be making a headache rack as well so I carry irrigation pipe

Latest posts