Trailer help???

Help Support CattleToday:

matkinfarms

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a small used trailer. Usually I haul 1 to 2 cows/ or 1 bull at a time. Would it be better to use a horse trailer or a stock trailer? The horse trailers are going for cheaper in my area.

Horse trailers are a pain. Too narrow for my liking. Goosenecks are much nicer to turn and travel with than bumper hitches. See if you can find a 16' gooseneck and you would be a happy trucker.

I would love to get a goose neck but I am pulling it with my work truck and they will not let us put a hook up for a goose neck in it. So I am stuck. I can't even put a drop down hitch so I can only use the ball which causes me to get a smaller trailer to it will not drag the ground.

I would go with the cattle trailer. It might cost you a little more, but the extra room will come in handy sometimes for you.

matkinfarms":10dr29zu said:
I would love to get a goose neck but I am pulling it with my work truck and they will not let us put a hook up for a goose neck in it. So I am stuck. I can't even put a drop down hitch so I can only use the ball which causes me to get a smaller trailer to it will not drag the ground.
Are you talking about a ball on the bumper or a receiver hitch? Bumpers are not rated to pull much of a load.

Yeah the ball on the bumper. That's another reason why I needed a small trailer. I can pull up to 5200 lbs.

We pulled with bumpers for years till everybody got so scared to use their trucks. A hitch will only be rateed for 5000 on a half ton truck, 7500 on a three quarter ton, so there is no advantage of a hitch over bumper except lowering your tongue. I have a two horse bumper pull horse trailer and a 5x14 bumper pull cattle trailer. For the amount of use you are talking about I think either of those would be enough. I have hauled two good size mamas in the two horse and a 2200 lb bull is the cattle trailer.

Thanks Craig. Would a horse trailer be good to haul a 600 pound bull calf? Or does he need a stock trailer to see daylight to load easier?

matkinfarms":10p014n2 said:
Thanks Craig. Would a horse trailer be good to haul a 600 pound bull calf? Or does he need a stock trailer to see daylight to load easier?
Lots of people haul cow or calves in horse trailers. As far as a ball on the bumper, just heed the rating of the bumper. I have seen too many bent bumpers or bumpers ripped off a truck because of over loading.

matkinfarms":1vuzhd1d said:

It would be ok to haul him in the horse trailer. You can have the same type trouble loading with any trailer. Sometimes they load easy and sometimea they dont.

cattle trailers also let you see through them easier than horse trailors but we use both. according to how good u can manuver trailor

When you look for a trailer, do not get a 2 horse straightload with the 2 doors in the back. It will be too narrow for a full grown bull or cow to turn around in to get out, plus if it has two doors on the back, it will be even harder to get one out. Another thing about a straight load trailer, if it has a feed manger, the actual floor space for the animal will be less.

If you can find a slant load trailer with the one door in the back will work better. You can remove the divider. I have a two horse slant load combo. The divider comes out if you need to haul cows.

Try looking for a stock type horse trailer that has one gate in the back and removable dividers. Also have your bumper checked to be sure that is will be secure and strong enough to pull the load. I would also check with your employer about using it to pull a trailer. It could affect the insurance should something go wrong. Good luck.

Latest posts