Trailer floors?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Will ground contact rated pressure treated last any better than the standard pressure treated wood on a flat bed trailer?

I don't know but I use ground contact rated wood for everything that needs treated wood

Find someone with the band saw mills and have them cut you some post oak. Make sure they leave the sap wood off. Corral fences were made with post oak here before the yellow wood came out. These boards lasted for years.

plain ol wood just keep it oiled/diesel ever few months and it will last for years.

I agree with the idea of going to the saw mill. They know what you need and cut it all the time. They usually cut at least 1 1/8" to 2" thick, what ever you prefer. Probably be less cost that lumber yard purchased dimensional lumber.

I would go to the county recycle yard every once in a while and get (free) linseed oil. Just dump it on and use an old brush to move it around on a 90 deg day. Decking last over 20 years hauling a 5000# DitchWitch.

BRYANT":32bexadx said:
plain ol wood just keep it oiled/diesel ever few months and it will last for years.

I clicked the heart button on this one but it didn't register.
Adding, start with pressure treated wood, then do it.

I just bought a 24' trailer that the floor is made out of highline post that they ran through a sawmill. Sawed a little thicker than reg. 2x's but the post were creosote treated . will see how it holds up

BRYANT":73f8zb70 said:
I just bought a 24' trailer that the floor is made out of highline post that they ran through a sawmill. Sawed a little thicker than reg. 2x's but the post were creosote treated . will see how it holds up

Nice I am sure you will get some serious years out of it.

BRYANT":2gg33dzg said:
I have seen this before , you will never have a trailer floor worry again .

My trailer is 40 years old.....somewhere along the 10 year mark the OEM non-treated started developing soft spots. In all honesty, I don't remember if I diesel/oiled it along the way or not. Replaced with Home Depot treated and every once in awhile did the swab down with D/O thing....sits out in the weather. It's been so long now that the wood has gone into the "petrified" stage and is hard as nails.....won't accept my knife blade tip. Still have the replacement floor I put in and just last month brought a new to me tractor home weighing out at about 3500# or so and not a problem.

On which treated, what difference does it make with the treatment differences?

Latest posts