Trailer floor!

Help Support CattleToday:

J+

Reaction score
I was just wondering what a person could do to make the floor of a stock trailor less slick. I move cattle and had a cow down when I got to the pasture. Thanks for the input!

J+

J+":btwi9hfq said:
I was just wondering what a person could do to make the floor of a stock trailor less slick. I move cattle and had a cow down when I got to the pasture. Thanks for the input!

J+

you can nail bull panels down over the boards.

spread sand or gravel over it. that gives a good base for many many loads then scoop it out and spread some new in.

use a cattle panel, i get the cheapest cut it off to fit, and steeple it to the floor. they are easy to remove and put back with a hammer. if you move horses remove the panel be cause they will get it hung on their shoes and pull them off. been there done that. it does work real well.

We use cattle panels and pressure wash out the unit EVERY time we use it, so cleaning is not a problem if done this way.

MrBilly":2er0emk2 said:
We use cattle panels and pressure wash out the unit EVERY time we use it, so cleaning is not a problem if done this way.

Agree I would only add after the floor is dry, if its wood spray down with diesel. This will make a floor last for a long time

MrBilly":2vv4f2qt said:

i agree. even w/o panels, the floor should be cleaned often to prolong the life of the boards. sand will work, but sand can also get heavy.....w/fuel prices these days you may not want to be hauling any more weight than you have to.

I use rubber horse stall mats, they come in different sizes, I use 4x6, they are non slip, hose off easily, come out easily, and are cut to fit. In our area a 4x6 by 1 inch thick runs about $35 at the local feed store.

I do clean out the trailer after I use it! Our new trailer has a rubber coated floor, and there's no way I'm going to staple a cattle panel to it. We did that with the old trailer, and it was a pain to clean. With the rubber floor, I can take a big scraper and scrape everything out the back door (we're talking hay, etc) and then use the pressure washer. I've got a 32 foot trailer, so it takes a couple of hours to do it.

If your floor is wood, you can nail 2x4's cross ways from side to side of the trailer, maybe every 5 feet of so. Also when hauling cattle the floor will get slick and nasty no matter what. The best thing is not to load to tight just in case a cow gets down.

I would go with rubber horse matts as well. My stock trailer we use for both horses and cows, and it makes cleanup a breeze.

FLJoe":1tpnkard said:
I would go with rubber horse matts as well. My stock trailer we use for both horses and cows, and it makes cleanup a breeze.

My gooseneck came with rubber mats and I've been very happy with them. Floor was well treated so I don't have a problem there, but at the very bottom of the sides some serious cancer is starting to show already. Perfect spot for urine and manure to collect and hard to clean.

I stager 1x4,s unevenly throughout the bottom, maybe 3 to 4 ft. naided to my wooden floor. This helps them keep their traction.

One thing that could probably go without saying, but…

When hauling cattle it always pays to keep your foot out of the gas and avoid situations where you need to stand on the brakes. Usually when an animal falls it's during a hard stop or slowdown. It's pretty rough in a trailer anyway and the most abrupt changes in speed are generally stops. They don't see or know what's ahead and can't anticipate a change in speed like passengers up front. Hauling livestock is not the time to be in a hurry.

Craig-TX