Trailer Came Loose

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Was moving a couple heifers this evening with a small bumper pull cattle trailer. Got to where I was going to back up and unload... look in my rear view mirror.... NO TRAILER!!!! :eek:
First though was OH $#&%!!! where did it come off at? the cattle? maybe other people?

I spun around and started back tracking. After a slight bit of panic I calmed a little because I could remember the trailer behind me on the gravel road through the property.

Found the trailer dug in the middle of the gravel road, right side up, cattle were all good. Reviever hitch hanging off the tongue of the trailer. Walked the gravel road a short ways back and found my reciever hitch pin... in two pieces. It had sheared off, clip stil in one end.

After losing two family members in one year to car accidents the thought of a trailer coming off on the highway made me sick. I now have a quality bolt with lock nuts for a pin. Might be some thing for others to consider also. :(

Bought an old F350 pickup from a man across the mountain a few years back, he forgot to latch the gooseneck coupler one day, came loose going over the railroad tracks. Truck had a unique hole in the bed behind the g/n hitch. Kept the water drained pretty good, though.

Two words for you: Safety chains.

I'm not even sure safety chains are adequate. I took a turn too sharp with my chains too short and popped them... if they can't hold at 5mph why would I think they'd hold at 65mph on the highway if the trailer came off the hitch?

Glad all was okay. I'm surprised you didn't even notice the trailer was missing though!

We had someone in our area loose a hay trailer last week. Hay trailer vs. car in a head on battle. 2 people hurt.

Someone better hope they had plenty of insurance...

milkmaid":34whnmy7 said:
I'm not even sure safety chains are adequate. I took a turn too sharp with my chains too short and popped them... if they can't hold at 5mph why would I think they'd hold at 65mph on the highway if the trailer came off the hitch?

Glad all was okay. I'm surprised you didn't even notice the trailer was missing though!

I know, I was a bit disapointed in myself. I had gone about 150yds before I realized it.

you got very lucky that no 1 was hurt.i know some people that use a trailer that you hook to the truck with a tractor hitch pin.an im thinking man thats not safe.if the pin breaks the trailer is gone.

I've never heard of one of those sheering in two pieces either. I think I better go and check mine. :shock:

I had two buddies that went to pick up a horse in Laredo. We hooked them up at the ranch. Several of us looked the trailer over before the left out. They checked it in Laredo, and at a resturant on the way back. WHen they got back to the ranch the tow chains were pulled tight holding the reciever hitch in. NO PIN,,, we suspect the same thing happened.Its a two horse, bumper pool, aluminum. :shock:

Brute 23":2yehkh1e said:
The reciever hitches are good for around 5K if its a good one. YOu would think who ever makes the reciever hitch pins whould have it rated for more than that.
Mine is rated for 12,500. Did you use a grade 8 bolt?

milkmaid":3sqo93m6 said:
I'm not even sure safety chains are adequate.

I lost a trailer at about 35 mph. The good thing about the "safety chains" was that when they popped I looked back and realized what had happened.

Should call them warning chains unless they are really heavy duty.

I would say it was a defective pin. Sounds as though it broke instead of shearing which is what should have to happen for the hitch to come out. I've towed my old Ford Broncos all over the country for years and never even had a pin bend. I second getting some good saftey chains on that trailer.

This is a different story but worth a chuckle. Had a friend driving his motorhome down a hill while pulling his car behind. As he descended the hill, he looked in his side mirror and saw his car starting to pass the motorhome. Oh sh--! Ended fine. Don't remember the cause.

Billy
:banana:

No one has mentioned the break away brakes on trailers. I'm guessing that larger trailers have something that locks the brakes if the trailer comes unhooked. Our 16 foot has a breakaway - luckily never needed it - i'm just not real clear on how to 'de-activate' the darn thing!! Any ideas on that?

Bullbuyer":29bz6xf2 said:
No one has mentioned the break away brakes on trailers. I'm guessing that larger trailers have something that locks the brakes if the trailer comes unhooked. Our 16 foot has a breakaway - luckily never needed it - i'm just not real clear on how to 'de-activate' the darn thing!! Any ideas on that?

Take out the battery or clip the wires. It sends 12v to the brake system when the pin is pulled out the black switch after your trailer comes loose.

Why would you want to unhook it?

Latest posts