Trailer Brakes

Help Support CattleToday:

SteppedInIt

Reaction score
Did a break job on the flatbed trailer. Changed out all components but the hubs. Three of the 4 brakes work. The one that isn't is getting 8 volts. Any suggestions? Can't figure it out.

Also I have to crank the brake controller maxed out for the brakes to "work". The trailer brakes will stop the truck in reverse at rolling idle. Will slow but won't stop the forward roll. Do they need to ware in or is there something more to it. Never got this deep into it before. The old set would make noise when brake applied but liners on shoes were gone.

I am thinking maybe I should have cleaned the hubs where the magnets ride. Magnets and everything else are new. Should the trailer wheels lock up at max power?

Did you have the hubs - drums turned? The 8 volts to only one brake has me stumped, like maybe a bad wire or connection, and when you put try to put max power through the wire the voltage drops to all of the wheels. And yes the tires should lock up tight unloaded, probably with the brake setting on no more than 6-7.

It also seems odd that the brakes will lock up in reverse. It seems to me that in reverse I have zero trailer brakes with electric brakes.

I adjusted the brakes where there was drag. I started rolling back and forth down the driveway using only the trailer brakes. Jacked up each side and there was no drag, so I readjusted. I think I am gonna pull it unloaded, bout 30 to 40 mi round trip and see what happens. I am stumped as to why I have to have max power for them to work and why the one with voltage isn't engaging. But at max controller power the one that isn't engaging had 8 volts. I think it was 7.97 to be exact. The wheel next to it that is working had 5.8 volts while engaged, maxed at controller.

Most likely it is something simple like a bad ground or a bad connection. It sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck

Yes, check all the connections, and the trailer ground as well. Morons that built my trailer crimped the trailer brake wire (behind the backing plate) so tight it severed the wire.

Sounds like a ground problem to me. Check voltage on the truck side pin. Use the frame to test it once then test it using the ground pin to simulate that same circuit. Sometimes the bad ground is in the truck side and I have had that jack with my trailer brakes before. If that checks out then you know it is trailer side.Brakes should stop it forward and reverse when empty at a slow roll.

Latest posts