trailer brakes and lights

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Hauled a heifer yesterday. Connected the brakes/lights. All lights worked, but controller inside the truck showed "not connected". Not sure if the brakes were working or not. No problem hauling just one. Need to haul a load this next week. Don't want to get into the situation of needing brakes and brakes not working. Trailer is a 2013 CM Stocker. Brakes are 7 way blade. See picture.

When truck and trailer were sitting parked there was a hum coming from the brakes. Unplugged the brakes/lights and hum went away.

Controller is a Prodigy controller.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

If your truck instruments are reading " trailer disconnected" it usually means the line in the wiring for the brake prong is not making contact.

Yes, but only c (connected) or nc (not connected) and I can set a boost on it which is a numeric value.

If it says not connected and you are getting all your lights and signals, I would check the connects on the plug that control the brakes. The brake prong might be bent.

If you can, run one axle up on a block to lift the other off the ground (get an axle off the ground that has brakes on it), get it to humming again, and spin it to see if the brakes are on. Sounds like you may have power to the brakes if it's humming.
Also check your wires/connectors underneath.

Normally scratching off the prongs in the connector takes care of any problems I run into.

Atimm693":1h13wn29 said:
Normally scratching off the prongs in the connector takes care of any problems I run into.

Yes. I know there is dielectric grease. I wonder if there is anything like that for plugs! They frequently get crusty.

Bright Raven":h63efror said:
Atimm693":h63efror said:

Yes. I know there is dielectric grease. I wonder if there is anything like that for plugs! They frequently get crusty.
Dielectric grease is an insulator, (doesn't conduct current) so don't get it on the prongs themselves, but it does keep water and grit out if applied to the o ring on the plug.

Ok, how do I know which pin is for the brakes? What should I clean the connectors with? Steel wool?

Thanks, this is helping. Will probably take it and get someone to look at it. At least I know what to ask/say or check beforehand.

Farmgirl

I would clean them all. I use a pocket knife to "scratch" them real good. A .22 brush for cleaning rifle works good. Once cleaned you can go to auto parts store and and buy the ends you need to cap them. When trailer not in use, put a little electric grease on each prong and cap it. Keeps it out of the weather and should be ready to on next trip. Do the same for the truck side if you dont pull many trailers

mine says that sometimes I just push a button on the brake controller .. it applise 100% of brake pressure.. I hit it a few times and then it will connect..

if that doesn't work I just unplug and put it back in and that fixes it.

i'd think being a 2013 its just a connection issue..

7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-2.png

Farmgirl":vdup3pfm said:
Ok, how do I know which pin is for the brakes? What should I clean the connectors with? Steel wool?

Thanks, this is helping. Will probably take it and get someone to look at it. At least I know what to ask/say or check beforehand.

Farmgirl

Good diagrams:
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/support/wiring-guides.html

Scratch them up really good with a screwdriver, pocketknife, etc. You can also bend the tabs to make them put more pressure on each other when connected. Just be mindful that there's a terminal in there with 12v(+) on it, touch it and a ground terminal at the same time and there's gonna be a spark and most likely a burnt fuse.

I never had much luck with the 7 ways, and have converted all the trailers over to the old 6 way metal plugs.

cfpinz":2tfzyin0 said:
Farmgirl":2tfzyin0 said:

Farmgirl

Good diagrams:
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/support/wiring-guides.html

Scratch them up really good with a screwdriver, pocketknife, etc. You can also bend the tabs to make them put more pressure on each other when connected. Just be mindful that there's a terminal in there with 12v(+) on it, touch it and a ground terminal at the same time and there's gonna be a spark and most likely a burnt fuse.

I never had much luck with the 7 ways, and have converted all the trailers over to the old 6 way metal plugs.
I thought your motto was "Lights and brakes, we don;t need no stinking lights and brakes"

greybeard":n4nyzseq said:
Bright Raven":n4nyzseq said:
Atimm693":n4nyzseq said:

Dielectric grease is an insulator, (doesn't conduct current) so don't get it on the prongs themselves, but it does keep water and grit out if applied to the o ring on the plug.

GB,
This would make a great topic. When I changed my coil packs, callmefence commented that I needed to put dielectric grease on the boot that goes over the plug. I have used electricians grease on 220 wire going into a breaker box. It gets confusing as to what is a conductive grease and what is an insulating grease. I read some on dielectric grease and some of the literature claims dielectric grease does waterproof o-rings but it also conducts. I assume it has some metallic base. IDK.

CFP,

I tried to check/straight pins. Didn't see much that looked wrong but I definitely saw sparks. Need to check fuses. On second thought, not need to change blown fuses until I get done cleaning it up.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

dun":193wps8l said:
I thought your motto was "Lights and brakes, we don;t need no stinking lights and brakes"

Brakes are for sissies!

Funny thing, that cattle trailer that was in your driveway a couple weeks ago has basically no brakes. Also never have put plates on it, I borrowed those off the wife's horse trailer.

Latest posts