Trailer Brake question

Help Support CattleToday:

RCP

Reaction score
I just bought a tandem dual 28' flatbed trailer with hydraulic brake lines existing at the backing plate but nothing else. I have heard of electric over hydraulic applications, I think this is what I would prefer, since I have electric on the truck I will pull with. Any information would be appreciated. RP

I believe in the KISS principal. (Keep It Simple, Stupid) where the stupid is me, not you.

If it were me, I would go down to my local trailer supply house and buy the electric brake setup for your axles. They are simple, dependible, long lasting and stop every time. Surge brakes, what I think you are describing, are a pain in the neck and every time you get ready to back up you gotta get out and pin the master cylinder so they don't operate when backing. JMO

Good Luck,

They are most likely not surge brakes, but an independent hydraulic braking system that is controlled by your truck's electric brake box. Also could be vacuum over hydraulic system, which a vacuum setup from truck runs a brake booster and master cylinder on the trailer. Either setup is not cheap. I've never converted a system like this to completely electric but would wager it to be much less expensive and troublesome in the long run.

cfpinz

I think you may be right CF. I re-read the question and I don't believe I've ever seen surge brakes on a GN. And I believe a 28' dual, tandem axle trailer most likely is a GN.

Either way putting the electrics on is pretty easy. The kits I've installed come with backin' plate, soloniods, wiring, bolts and drums, everything is bolt on. And since you've already got the electric controller in your truck it's a simple matter of attaching the wires to your trailer connector.

Earl Thigpen":6mk7kfd7 said:
I think you may be right CF. I re-read the question and I don't believe I've ever seen surge brakes on a GN. And I believe a 28' dual, tandem axle trailer most likely is a GN.

Either way putting the electrics on is pretty easy. The kits I've installed come with backin' plate, soloniods, wiring, bolts and drums, everything is bolt on. And since you've already got the electric controller in your truck it's a simple matter of attaching the wires to your trailer connector.
There is an electric controlled actuator for Hyd. brakes. It is a master cylinder that has a screw type set up in it that compresses the brake fluid. I looked at one at Red Neck Trailer Supply. I do not remember the cost.

Latest posts