trail mules vs trail horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
What do you guys think? I was thinking about getting a mule in the future at some point, all we do is trail ride. I was surprised to see that there are gaited mules when I was messing around online. What are the pros/cons to mules vs horses.

I saw the most interesting Mule back in 1996 during the Western Stock Growers Cattle drive. She was at least 16"2 and had a shiney coat. Both unusual traits for mules. Her ears had to be 10 inches long and she was extremely attractive. She was gaited and did this flat ground covering single foot. The old cowboy riding her looked pretty darn comfortable.

Hillary_Indiana":h3iy5hbm said:
What do you guys think? I was thinking about getting a mule in the future at some point, all we do is trail ride. I was surprised to see that there are gaited mules when I was messing around online. What are the pros/cons to mules vs horses.

They are not necessarilly any better than horses. They are more narrow in the frame which may require you to change your saddle. I spent a week trail riding and camping with two guys with mules and all they did was tell me how my horse would not be able to handle the rough terrain we were on, my 17 hand horse out did them every inch of the way. I think mules are supposed to handle heat better.

I have never been on a mule, but one of my trainers (colt starters) says it's the smoothest ride she's been on.

Con: they can kick you from any angle.

Alan

hayray":2rky0kni said:
Hillary_Indiana":2rky0kni said:

They are not necessarilly any better than horses. They are more narrow in the frame which may require you to change your saddle. I spent a week trail riding and camping with two guys with mules and all they did was tell me how my horse would not be able to handle the rough terrain we were on, my 17 hand horse out did them every inch of the way. I think mules are supposed to handle heat better.
What were you riding a belgin horse

it's impossible to say which is better...there are good mules and bad mules, just as there are good horses and bad horses. Just a matter of personal preference I believe. Mules can be trained as great trail riders though, although I am not saying they are any better than horses, they can still be just as good of a trail rider as any other horse out there if they are properly trained

My experience starting mules in pretty limited but I think they are very inteligent and do not take abusive treatment well nor do they forget it. The myth about being as stubborn as a mule I believe to be false. They seem to be smarter in ways than a horse in the fact they will not eat themselves into founder, feet seem to be better and more tolerant to cold and heat. I have two gaites paso brood mares that I intend to breed to a gaited jack, I just haven't gotten around to it.

rc":e9dfm8wc said:
My experience starting mules in pretty limited but I think they are very inteligent and do not take abusive treatment well nor do they forget it. The myth about being as stubborn as a mule I believe to be false. They seem to be smarter in ways than a horse in the fact they will not eat themselves into founder, feet seem to be better and more tolerant to cold and heat. I have two gaites paso brood mares that I intend to breed to a gaited jack, I just haven't gotten around to it.

you are so right......... when slecting a mule look at it parents.. if you have a crazy mare youll get one crazy mule. which could be way worse than a crazy horse.. if a mule misses you when he kicks at you.. he ment to LOL they can see all 4 feet so they know excatly where they are setting them down.. i have mules and donks plus an arabin mare.. { pretty good ol short ear} i have fell of my big belgin mule{ over shooting the landing pad, when jumping on her} she has just looked at me laying on the ground.. waiting for me to catch my breath and try it again.. i have had some great horses and then i have had some cowboy killers.. now i have all great mules.. love ppl bomb proof. i have to use a built up saddle pad for my mules which seems to help with saddle fitting...
i have a paso/hinney.. she can really shuffle.. have a nice smooth gate.. she looks paso except for the ears.. ck out the mule groups lots of good ppl there and lots of info... Rose

There is a fella named Norman Fowler that runs a trail ride at Birdsong TN.(organized ride) with some great trails and 3 of the best squares you'll ever eat. It's open from March - October. Norman usually rides gaited mules and they are some of the prettiest well trained animals I have seen. You are right about them kicking, they hit where they aim. That goes along with what I said about abusive treatment. They seem to like verbal commands and fellow ship.jmho

oscar p":1z66i915 said:
hayray":1z66i915 said:
Hillary_Indiana":1z66i915 said:

ray_on_horseback.jpg

She is a Saddlebred/Percheron cross. I call her B.A.

I have ben around livestock many years the only differance between a mule and a horse is a horse will eat grain till it founders and a mule will not, a mule is smarter than a horse and knows when to quit

hayray":3htcx9yi said:
oscar p":3htcx9yi said:
hayray":3htcx9yi said:
Hillary_Indiana":3htcx9yi said:

ray_on_horseback.jpg

What a beautiful horse!! :) Can you say what B.A. stands for? :oops:

peg4x4":3f5zmsll said:
hayray":3f5zmsll said:
oscar p":3f5zmsll said:
hayray":3f5zmsll said:
Hillary_Indiana":3f5zmsll said:

heat better.

Thanks for the compliment, she is very beutiful when you are up next to her. I would like to say what B.A. stands for but I would get one of those "be nice" inserts.

Ray

hayray":2rky6jwv said:
peg4x4":2rky6jwv said:
oscar p":2rky6jwv said:
Hillary_Indiana":2rky6jwv said:

heat better.

Thanks for the compliment, she is very beutiful when you are up next to her. I would like to say what B.A. stands for but I would get one of those "be nice" inserts.

Ray

Kinda like my Xdaughter-in-laws mini stallion---Doofus is the best I can put here!!! I hope she's gelded the thing--She thought if she kissed him on the nose enough,he'd love her---I tried :mad: but she took the pony with her,and hasn't been heard fom sense..

a gaited mule is smooth to ride and generally smarter and more sure footed than most horses. if you really don't like someone, send em up the grand canyon on a big old horse.... :)

as a thought....if you really want smart AND sure footed, a mammoth donkey is your best route.....my mammoths are training me to do what THEY want daily.... :oops:

B.A. sure is a pretty short ear! :heart:
i ride a blegin mule, i also have a big perchon mule..she loves to give hugs with her neck.. only prob that big ol head is heavy! my jack watches the ft door, when i come out her announces me... he does't bary at any one else but mommmmmmmmm LOL
Rose :lol:

Latest posts