Trail Cameras

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for trail cameras to place around the perimeter of our place. Need to buy quite a few so I'd like to avoid the high end pricing. Would like a model that takes good pictures in the dark. Don't need the latest and greatest, a closeout of a previous model would suit me fine. We have a Cuddeback now that I like, but I'm just not well versed on trail cameras.

Someone cut our exterior fence in six places recently, including hot wires. Found it before anything got out, and a police report along with pictures have been filed. Have a reasonable suspicion as to who did it, just looking to prevent something like this in the future or catch them if it happens again.

Thank You.

Honestly, the only brand I'd stay away from would be Wild Game Innovations. I have one that works, but it's a crap shoot when you buy one. Primos, Browning, Stealth, Moultrie, Cuddeback all make decent cameras. There are others as well, I just can't think of them all at the moment.

I bought a Cutteback last year because everyone spoke so highly of them. Can't remember the model number off hand but it wasn't a cheap one....was totally disappointed in the picture quality compared to my old Moltree that everybody laughed at. Just doesn't take good pics.

One thing I've noticed is that actual flash cameras take FAR superior night pics than IR cameras, especially the "no flash" type. In this instance I think you''ll need the no-flash, but try to place them as close to the intended target as you can get away with. And use good batteries, lithium seems to be best and are cheaper in the long run. With alkaline batteries, as they wear down the picture quality gets worse and worse. For taking pics of animals, I wish there was a better selection of flash cameras.

M.Magis":2xtpcn3d said:
One thing I've noticed is that actual flash cameras take FAR superior night pics than IR cameras, especially the "no flash" type. In this instance I think you''ll need the no-flash, but try to place them as close to the intended target as you can get away with. And use good batteries, lithium seems to be best and are cheaper in the long run. With alkaline batteries, as they wear down the picture quality gets worse and worse. For taking pics of animals, I wish there was a better selection of flash cameras.

I agree that I still have a couple of the old ones that actually flash the game pics are better.
The IR are better for security around here they are all at least 10' foot up on the side of a tree aimed at an entrance.
Makes them a little of a pain to check but they don't get stole either.

Browning cameras have been good so far. My brother has 6 or 8 now and they took over 100k pictures last season. He uses good lithium batteries and gets 10k+ pictures on a set of batteries.

I've got 2 of these. One IR one regualr but they are the older 12 mp model. Got them on sale for about half price. If I get anymore trail cameras these are what I will get. Have cuddeback, bushnell and moultrie. Don;t like any of them as well as the cabela's ones

Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate the information.

Friend of mine at work speaks highly of the Browning units, nice to hear them mentioned here in good favor, also.

dun - Do you have a link to the Cabela's unit you're talking about?

cfpinz":3px1k3jo said:
dun":3px1k3jo said:
Mine is the 12 MP they don;t make it anymore
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l%2Bcamera

Thanks. You notice any difference in battery life in the various brands? Browning keeps popping up from the folks I've spoken with, and battery life is always a talking point.
Moultrie sucked, cuddeback lasted forever but there was frequently nothing in the picture.

Also have a Primos that never has taken decent picture. One thing that I don;t like about the cuddeback is they don;t have a method of using a tripod

Latest posts