Tragedy

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
We had a tragedy strike last week. My first calf this spring had to be pulled. Momma cow took off after it was born so we, mainly my mom, bottle raised her at their house. Last week I get a panicked call from my mom because they couldn't find Jazi. When I get there, my Dad had called Mom saying he found her and she was stuck in a trailer. I we ran up to the back of the property and found her. She was alive, but was in bad shape. We had to get a torch to cut the trailer apart to free her head and neck. Unfortunately, she died a few hours later. My Mom was devastated. That calf was as much a pet to her as any dog.

Sorry for your loss. Always tough losing one. It never ceases to amaze me the trouble they can get into. How was she stuck?

That sucks :(.. I had a close call with my orphaned calf this year, he stuck his head between a wire gate and the fence and couldn't pull it back out.. I'm just glad I noticed.

I've come to believe that if you leave anything in the field with them they will find a way to kill themselves with it.

A.J.":sl1e96h2 said:
Sorry for your loss. Always tough losing one. It never ceases to amaze me the trouble they can get into. How was she stuck?
This is how we found her.

AZAggie":3mzqrq12 said:
A.J.":3mzqrq12 said:
Man thats a bad situation there,, no wonder it got her...cattle are tough. What you think would kill them sometimes don't,,and little things can take them out...

AZAggie":2jsm2tqk said:
A.J.":2jsm2tqk said:

wow. I can imagine thinking to myself "none of them could get hurt by this" and then blammo. they prove you wrong. maddening. same with ponds. I know folks like having ponds in the field for water and cooling but it sure seems like they would be death traps.

AZAggie":5emztq1p said:
A.J.":5emztq1p said:

Oh Lord!! That's a terrible sight to come upon. I'm surprised that calf lived as long as it did, being stuck that way.

Sorry that you lost it.

It was tough. My mom blamed herself. I told her you can't watch them 24 hrs a day and unfortunately they do stupid things from time to time.

angus9259":376vd1n4 said:
I had to cut out all the crooks in my trees after this....

I've heard of them doing that too. Luckily I haven't had to deal with it, yet.

angus9259":129kgyl8 said:
I had to cut out all the crooks in my trees after this....

Had a heifer do the same thing in a hole in the side of a hollow maple tree. No idea how long she was there but it must have been awhile because she was knocking on deaths door by the looks of it. Found just in time and she ended up being ok. Sorry it wasn't a good outcome for the OP. They sure know how to find trouble sometimes.

Latest posts