Tragedy at Nimrod MN

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
I had heard that 2 men had been killed unloading a semi of large round bales. Funerals were This past Tuesday and Wednesday. I just found out yesterday that this happened near Nimrod.
My thoughts and prayers out to families and friends.

They were from Sebeka, in Wadena Co. If we are talking about the same accident, this one happened on the 12th. I retrieved this from WCCO.

"The sheriff's office says the men died at the scene Wednesday evening on a farm in Orton Township, east of Sebeka in northwestern Minnesota.

They've been identified as 45-year-old Harold W. Skov and 62-year-old Douglas A. Amundson.

Sheriff Michael D. Carr calls it its one of the most tragic accidents he's ever seen.

He says the two men were unloading a semitrailer load of large round hay bales. At some point, he says, several bales came off the trailer and rolled on top of the victims."

A sad thing to hear. Just another reminder of the dangers we face in every occupation involving big equipment, or dangerous payloads, including livestock. Some may say, they were not excercising enough care. But how many times have we all had a momentary lapse of thought. I know I have came close more than once. Sure feel sorry for the families.

That's too bad and a very tragic accident. We don't think about it until something like this happens, but farming really is one of the most dangerous professions.

Hi All,
Tinker Skove and Doug Amundson were killed on the 11th.
They both lived in the Nimrod area,(Sebeka is just the mailing address around here) Tinker's ranch is just on the other side of the river from me and Doug's farm/ranch was just south of Nimrod.
They were both good friends.They were both hard working and very good men.
If you do a search on Nimrod Topix you can find a couple of news paper articles that tell about it and they are pretty accurate.
It has been a tough winter around here and this just made it seem like it will never end!
Everyone in this small community truly feels the loss of these two very much loved cowboys.
There is no telling how many times these two had unloaded hay like this, it can all come to an end so fast! It has really made us all think of just how mortal we really are.

PD, really sorry to hear about your friends. I know I always get nervous when working with roundbales on semi's. I'm so glad that we work more with squares (small and large) more often.

Sorry to hear of it and their families are in our prayers
About 15 yrs ago a neighbors 14 yr old son was ran over by a bale of hay they had just got thru loading a load on the trailer and he was walking around the back to strap it down and it rolled off of the trailer and rolled over him luckily he survived but he is paralyzed from the waist down

farm saftey is a topic i would like to see put on these boards its dangerous work and saftey is over looked by all of us sometimes i've ran over 2 of my dogs last year it might have been a child. these men were doing a task we all do and knew it was possible that they die if something went wrong and it did. it wont happen to me was in their minds take a minute and look around everybody everyday all the time farm deaths dont always make the news just the funeral homes

All it takes is a momentary lapse of judgement or a brief instance of being careless and most anything on the farm can and will hurt or kill you.

Sorry to hear about those guys.

Yes, farm safety is often forgotten. Expecially when dealing with lagoons. A couple years ago one of my dad's old friends tractors somehow flipped into an almost empty lagoon and he got pinned under the tractor and drowned. :frowns: That would be one of the worst possible ways to die.

mnmtranching":3g7cgi5x said:
I had heard that 2 men had been killed unloading a semi of large round bales. Funerals were This past Tuesday and Wednesday. I just found out yesterday that this happened near Nimrod.
My thoughts and prayers out to families and friends.

Sorry for the loss. I reckon those fellas gave a whole new meaning to Nimrods huh?

Latest posts