Traditional Simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
How would you find out if there is any Simmental breeders in ky that still use the traditional red and white Simmental? Really liked those red and whites they used to have in the 90s before everything went black or solid red.

One of the last RWF Simmental bulls I saw carried by any of the major bull studs(ABS,SS, AG, Genex) was Autobahn, a Pollfleck son, bred by the Swains, up around Louisville. Heard that he sired some pretty good daughters.
You can find some red & white bulls - mostly Fleckvieh - at some of the other studs(Origen, Bovine Elite, etc.)

Lucky_P":mbz1afne said:
One of the last RWF Simmental bulls I saw carried by any of the major bull studs(ABS,SS, AG, Genex) was Autobahn, a Pollfleck son, bred by the Swains, up around Louisville. Heard that he sired some pretty good daughters.
You can find some red & white bulls - mostly Fleckvieh - at some of the other studs(Origen, Bovine Elite, etc.)
Autobahn was from Select Sires and yes, he makes some great daughters. He was a red baldy, not traditional

I've only had two calves grade prime in my life. Both were pure fleck. I hadn't had one on the place 15-20 years. I wish they hadn't fallen from favor.

We have only a few full fleck cows left and they are in their teens.. Lost our mostly fleck sim bull this last winter. I think it would be smart to bring them back. The whole purpose of the sim was to make big milking machines. Todays sim is not a sim. I often felt that someone would be smart to bring them back in all their glory, calving problems, crazy markings and all.

cowgirl8":2hat0me3 said:
We have only a few full fleck cows left and they are in their teens.. Lost our mostly fleck sim bull this last winter. I think it would be smart to bring them back. The whole purpose of the sim was to make big milking machines. Todays sim is not a sim. I often felt that someone would be smart to bring them back in all their glory, calving problems, crazy markings and all.

www.steaksalive.com

fitz

Todays sim is not a sim. I often felt that someone would be smart to bring them back in all their glory, calving problems, crazy markings and all.

There should be no excuse for calving problems these days if a breeder will be more selective. The Simmental and even Fleckvieh breeders have been very progressive at addressing calving problems. With the use of EPDs, as a tool, a breeder should be able to select bulls that will avoid the calving problems of yesteryear.

Back when the Simmental were first brought into this country, there were calving problems, (many of the Continentals had calving problems). Part of this was that the Continentals were being bred to too small of a cow. But the Simmental at that time was bred to the Hereford because of the White Face, but there were still calving issues. This gave the Simmental a bad rap for calving problems. But one thing about the Fleckvieh which is from Germany and Austria, is that they have always been a more moderate framed type of cow and didn't have as many issues with calving problems.

There is defiantly more interest in the Fleckvieh as the http://www.fleckvieh.com has several members all over North America.

I ran across a very interesting website about the early years of the Simmental in North America http://simmental-sbl.blogspot.com/2011_12_01_archive.html

Kind of funny, we have one cow family that go back to Signal and Abricot. Very little Simmenthal left in them, less then 15% the rest being Red Angus but they're a darn good cow line.

cowgirl8":2mohc2mj said:
You're kind of a special person ain't you? I did remembered that someone suggested black Hereford and ultrablacks...

There is a fleck breeder 4 miles down road that has a small herd of full blooded flecks. I sure missed the flecks my grandpa had, they always produced biggest calves when bred to Angus bull.

cowgirl8":2qvifsgr said:
Are they Full flecks because you have papers that go back 100 years, or are the full fleck because they are red and white, and their sire was Jimmy, or was it billy? Might of been Bobby?

sim.-ang.king":3s6wld5b said:
cowgirl8":3s6wld5b said:
Are they Full flecks because you have papers that go back 100 years, or are the full fleck because they are red and white, and their sire was Jimmy, or was it billy? Might of been Bobby?

These are the bulls in the flesh. Had many that were used for ai.
1744279 redlight
15586945 redcoat
1975005 fullabull home grown
1399497 tomcat
These are the only ones I could find the papers on. Some out of the ai we didn't to bother papering.

cowgirl8":32r8s1c5 said:

Not a huge difference in calving proplems in comparison to most charloias bulls used by commercial cattleman. Someone could really corner the market.

So are these bulls I can but semen from or are these just some bulls from the past?

cowgirl8":dtpw6wsb said:
trin":dtpw6wsb said:
So are these bulls I can but semen from or are these just some bulls from the past?
Those were bulls we owned.

Cowgirl8 three of the bulls you have listed were major AI bulls in the mid nineties. These are MV Red Light 406 owned by Gateway Simmental in Montana, NLC 64Y Tomcat owned by Nelsons in Montana and Boz Redcoat. I very highly doubt you ever owned any part of any of these bulls though you may have used them AI and/or owned sons of them. Also all three of these bulls were solid red in color and would not be considered traditional Simmentals by any Simmental breeder. Although they all carry a small amount of Fleckvieh breeding they are far from being full Fleck they are not even fullblood Simmental.

hrsr":33yjejux said:
cowgirl8":33yjejux said:
trin":33yjejux said:

Cowgirl8 three of the bulls you have listed were major AI bulls in the mid nineties. These are MV Red Light 406 owned by Gateway Simmental in Montana, NLC 64Y Tomcat owned by Nelsons in Montana and Boz Redcoat. I very highly doubt you ever owned any part of any of these bulls though you may have used them AI and/or owned sons of them. Also all three of these bulls were solid red in color and would not be considered traditional Simmentals by any Simmental breeder. Although they all carry a small amount of Fleckvieh breeding they are far from being full Fleck they are not even fullblood Simmental.
I'll have to look at my papers again..lol...maybe i took down the wrong number...well, obviously i did...lol....If i get a chance i'll dig them out again. These could be AI bulls, but i had the papers in my hand and took the numbers off...maybe they were the bulls that sired the bulls we had. The paper said full sim though. And yes, these bulls were when they started turning them solid color. We had bulls before this that were traditional colored. I have not found those papers.

cowgirl8":1izxficb said:
hrsr":1izxficb said:
cowgirl8":1izxficb said:

I'll have to look at my papers again..lol...maybe i took down the wrong number...well, obviously i did...lol....If i get a chance i'll dig them out again. These could be AI bulls, but i had the papers in my hand and took the numbers off...maybe they were the bulls that sired the bulls we had. The paper said full sim though. And yes, these bulls were when they started turning them solid color. We had bulls before this that were traditional colored. I have not found those papers.
you do not have any full blooded simmentals anymore. Funny thing is how you don't like that simmentals went black but will using red simmentals or red baldy simmentals....

Latest posts