Trader Cow Calf Pair Ran Down

Help Support CattleToday:

rcstokes

Reaction score
We felt sorry for a Cow Calf pair this weekend at the sale barn. They are traders I'm assume. They are just generally ran down. We are new at the cattle thing, just have a hobby farm. She is doing better just in a day and the calf as well. Could anyone tell us what grain or feed besides hay to give her while we have her confined for a week or so. Would like to just get her built back up. We had the Vet give her and the calf shots at the sale barn as they thought under the circumstances. Thanks for the Forums, We appreciate the opprotunity to use them. We have already learned a lot from them. Thanks for replys.

If you have pasture just let her graze. If not give her all the grass hay she can eat and some free choice mineral.

I think it would be worthwhile to give her a couple pounds of grain with vitamins for a little extra nutrients until she gets going good.
Glad your working at it.

Again, all the grass and/or hay they'll eat and some mineral. Start slowly with the feed, then cut em back slowly as they get where they ought to be. Have they been wormed?

Yep, we have 30 acres. We started with 7 Black Baldy cow calf pairs in January. They are 5/6 years old with calves on ground for this first round. The newest addition have been wormed and had all the current shots they need. We will pick up some mineral to go with the fescue and red clover they are eating now. I'm sure that is better than what they were getting. Of course headed to Co-op first thing in morning. Can't get attach to all of them though, well maybe. Thanks for everones help. If you think of anything else let us know. Great forums for info on all issues. Enjoy reading them and gaining knowledge.

Keep them isolated for a couple of months, they aren't worth risking causing trouble with the ones you already have
when you add feed--do it slowly and stay away from starch(corn,wheat ect) and no urea.
Worm now if it hasn't been done or reworm and revaccinate in a few weeks.
Check and make sure she has teeth-

We can do that, we just built a corral. Also just figured out for sure what she is, a red brangus. Not sure what she was bred to. Would email someone a picture of them if they might be able to help us determine that. They will fit in real fine with the black baldies (Ha).
My email as follows if anyone would like to try and help us figure the breeding issue out ([email protected])Thanks

Good luck with new purchase. So what are your plans to get all your cows rebred?
Do you know what the vet gave her at sale barn? If it was a killed vaccine - she will need booster within 2-4 weeks. And, I would deworm 4 weeks later, also, using a different product if possible.

We have a registered black angus bull 2 years old. I forgot to note that on the past post. We (wife) and I are wondering what a calf from the red brangus mom and angus will look like or if that would be a good cross if we should keep our newest addition. We will follow up on the shots with the Vet. The Vet at the sale barn is our regular Vet. I tried to get a picture on here, but wouldn't load. I am going to take one of the pair with low res today and see if that will work. We are really enjoying our little farm and what we are able to do with it. We praise the Lord we have the opportunity.

cow-pic1.jpg

Give her hay a few days with some limited grazing time on that lush grass then go all grass....she'll turn around pretty good for you. No idea what the bloodline would be...anything from brahman to longhorn and anything in between.

rcstokes":26xdhvwa said:
We can do that, we just built a corral. Also just figured out for sure what she is, a red brangus. Not sure what she was bred to. Would email someone a picture of them if they might be able to help us determine that. They will fit in real fine with the black baldies (Ha).
My email as follows if anyone would like to try and help us figure the breeding issue out ([email protected])Thanks
red brangus are polled.. i draw blood on her before i turned her out with the others if it turned out too be johnes

looks like all they need is loads of grass. My advice is to let her keep the calf, they will both be in better shape soon. the cow will probably not look good until you have weaned but she will milk a lot if she eats a lot. I have tried this. I got a cow that was skin and bone and a dwarf from starving. She weaned a calf at 95 % of her bodyweight wich was only 600 pounds.

Probably a good idea before turning her out. She will be going back to get another physical. I may have bought a heinz 57 I don't know, but she is happier then she was I think. My son told his mom that I may need supervision if I keep going to the sale barn. :D

rcstokes":1lalzfm5 said:
Probably a good idea before turning her out. She will be going back to get another physical.I don't know I may have bought a heinz 57 , but she is happier then she was I think. My son told his mom that I may need supervision if I keep going to the sale barn. :D
they can raise great calve's mated too the right bull, being a mutt wouldnt bother me

The way I have it figured, she is pretty tough and deserves the chance. Thats a good momma.

rcstokes":3pwcxal8 said:
The way I have it figured, she is pretty tough and deserves the chance. Thats a good momma.
From the looks of the calf she's doing just what she should do. Supplying groceries to her calf and losing condition from inadequate nutrition to do it and keep body condition.
A hard working cow

i'm guessing she came from the texas drought area. seen a lot of them down at joplin last friday. they are really thin, most just need some feed

Latest posts