Traded for some hay ground

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Seems high, but it joins a place I'm already cutting hay on. $25 an acre. The previous hay man had been cutting it at 60% 40%. I need hay , and 1/3 2/3 is my best deal. Won't go no lower. I made 8.5 4'x5' rolls on an adjoining place. This place has been in hay production for 7 or 8 years. Been fertilized all along, but never limed. I'm happy. I guess at the end of the day that's what counts. This will allow me to convert my "home" hay fields back to pasture.

How are you dividing those percentages up? 60 to who and 40 to who? (maybe should be whom, but I never really knew the difference :) )60 to me, 40 to them. I need hay, so I went $25 an acre, and I get all the hay

I would think he pays for fertilizer if he's leasing the entire field for all the hay But i could be wrong. As a owner of land i would not be paying for fertilizer and getting 1/3 of the hay either.

I would think he pays for fertilizer if he's leasing the entire field for all the hay But i could be wrong. As a owner of land i would not be paying for fertilizer and getting 1/3 of the hay either.
Maybe I am misunderstanding. I thought the split was with the person cutting and rolling. But I could be wrong, it is the 1/3 2/3. I may have misunderstood. If he is leasing to cut all of the hay, then I would also assume he pays the fertilize bill.

Bigfoot if its decent hay land and joins what your already doing get a few years lease and go for it. I think its reasonable enough considering your soil and your area. It will grow grass.

Bigfoot if its decent hay land and joins what your already doing get a few years lease and go for it. I think its reasonable enough considering your soil and your area. It will grow grass.
Glad you said that.

I worded the original post confusingly:

I will be giving him cash up front, fertilizing, and leaving with 100% of the hay. "Shouldn't" have to get on the road to go make or move the hay. I pretty good hay man has had the deal for several years. It's not like I'm converting crp ground to hay. First cutting should be pretty nice.

If it is close to you like that then it is worth every penny and $25 is cheaper than the % of hay crop. I have a nice field about 1/2 mi from my house I have offered $50 an acre on but they won't bite. Old family deal. Would be worth that to me to save the hauling I do now from all over the county. Having been fertilized and not mined out is worth a good bit also.

No hay ground for rent here all got burned down years ago for grain goes 140-180. Alot should of been left in grass. Think how much cheaper that rent is than owning it.

Latest posts