Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
If you were farming 100 acres for cattle with 10 acres of that being hay, what size tractor would you recommend.
Some of the land is hilly.
What brand and model tractor would you look for.

It depends on what kind of baler you are pulling, round or square? and is it hilly enough that you think you need 4x4, and are you buying new? I would buy a m7040 kubota, or a 5075 john deere if i was buying new. But if you are looking at older tractors there are alot of choices, I still like kubota but that is my personal preference because of years of really good expierences, but i would not be affraid to own a ford/NH, john deere, case, or international, I don't think there is any one of those that would be bad enough to not buy if you found one you really liked.

I have a JD5205 that's good for 4x5 bales. Does 90% of the work around here.

chevytaHOE5674":15crtyd0 said:
10 acres of hay isn't much, and it may be cheaper to pay somebody to make than hay instead of buying/maintaining all the equipment.
I normally cut and rake have someone else bail it for me. It is Bermuda Grass which we cut 3 to 4 times a year and produces anywhere from
60 to 80 4x5 bales each time and a few square bales.
Mainly looking for tractor to pull a 10' bushhog over the hill, cut hay, and other odd jobs.

dt34715":181k412f said:
chevytaHOE5674":181k412f said:
10 acres of hay isn't much, and it may be cheaper to pay somebody to make than hay instead of buying/maintaining all the equipment.
I normally cut and rake have someone else bail it for me. It is Bermuda Grass which we cut 3 to 4 times a year and produces anywhere from
60 to 80 4x5 bales each time and a few square bales.
Mainly looking for tractor to pull a 10' bushhog over the hill, cut hay, and other odd jobs.

I would want a four wheel drive with min. 60 hp pto.

fitz

Latest posts