Tractor ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowdirt":34y7h7o4 said:
kjones":34y7h7o4 said:
I would rather have 4wd and not need it than not have it and need it.

When some folks go tractor shopping they remind me of the fellow trying on shoes. He wears a 10 but the 11s felt so good that he bought 12s. My point is; unless you are rolling in cash, you have to stop at some point when looking at features on tractors.

I agree, sometimes you just got to let your wallet be the judge. Id rather have a pocket full of change and not need it than 4wd and not need it. :lol:

tncattle":13jphp58 said:
Bullbuyer":13jphp58 said:
Okay - all you flat land guys need to get out of this debate. FWD is an absolute up here in the hills - especially moving hay in winter/spring. I've seen pastures in the last few days that could swallow a 2WD.

O.K. I did forget to metion that the pasture is gently rolling but the other areas that they will use it for are rough and some quite steep.

A beginner has NO business running a Tractor up these steep hills around this part of the Country. I've been driving Tractors since I was knee high to a Grasshopper, and there's plenty of places I would not take one.Buy a 2WD Ford 3000. It should do bout all that you need to do, on a place that size.

Bullbuyer brought up a very good subject about tractors. And that is tractor fatalities. And that is something that can happen on any tractor. Large, small, new, old, 2wd, 4wd.

I remember when i was a kid years ago where a old farmer who had been farming all his life started up a little incline with his dics up in the air. Somehow the tractor flipped over backwards pinning him between the tractor and dics. It caught on fire and burned the man alive.

Another time not long ago close to here they found a tractor still running with the PTO engaged to a six foot brush hog. They found the operator ( a woman) a fleshy mess underneath the hog.

Then there was a man tring to stack round bales in a barn and had the round bale roll back down the loader onto the drivers seat with him on it. It broke both arms, neck, back etc...., Cattle farmer is all he has ever been. (not a hobby farmer either) Cattle is the way he makes his living. He was on a open station tractor.

These people who work for the state on mowing crews are always rolling a tractor over from time to time.

My Opinion......I don't like all the new compact tractors....The full sized tractors are a better value. The compacts are not heavy enough to plow or disc like a full sized tractor.
I might suggest a "No frills" tractor like a New Holland TT-60 or a John Deere 5203. They are large enough to plow, pull a round bailer, etc. etc...Very basic, no frills tractor for 14 to 15
thousand. Fifty to sixty h.p. in 2wd will do a ton of work!!!!

I would definitely recomend a good used tractor over a new one. Most of the older ones were built very well and still have years of use left in them.

If you find a good used one your friend/relative (Cant remember which) could probably afford more HP and 4WD.

Going into town this evening right before dark there was a tractor turned ovr on it's side prtty close to the fence. It looked like it was a Katota and the bucket was kind of high and there was a bunch of bull rock scattered around. There was a pickup sitting there with a couple of people in it and they didn't look to excited so I went on.Z

A man I used to work with was bush hogging a couple years ago and let his grandson ride on the fender. Long story short, grandson ended up under the bush hog, dead. Grandfather fell off a roof to his death within the next year. You be the judge.

cfpinz

Latest posts