Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

redandblack

Reaction score
Need some opinions, looking to get a new tractor prolly in the 60-90 hp range, putting out round bales, brush hogging, and spraying mainly. Need cab 4x4 and fel, want a good quality tractor that will last. I have only owned >60hp 2wd open cab tractors. Would like something newer but really don't want to mess with all the emissions stuff. I know opinions will vary, greatly appreciate the help.

I was told that under 100 hp you don;t have to mess with the diesel exhaust crap. For round bales I wouldn;t go below 75 horse.

Have only ran older tractors with lots of hours, what would you consider "low hours"?

I consider under 2000 to be pretty low hours, though that depend on how old a tractor as well.. I have 2 of them that are close to 40 years old and still only have 1800 hours on them (Massey 165 and 255), they'll be good for a long time yet.
5000 hours is about middle aged, and by 8-10,000 I'd call it ready for retirement, though there are exceptions of course.

Redandblack, We have a JD 5083 that we bought 4 years ago and have put 1,000 hours on it. Using it for the things you mentioned and have no complaints except adding oil. The oil filler is behind the FEL frame and is hard to get to.

I have a 5075e J.D open station bought couple years ago. Very simple tractor but works well for me, main job is moving hay and feeding cows. I have pulled a brillion seeding hay fields a few times. Probably something I wouldn't want to sit on 10 hrs a day but a good chore tractor. I did have to put weight on rear wheels it will pick way more than tractor can handle.

best bang for the buck would be something like a 5075 just like smoothy said..

fel, cab, 4x4, i think for in the 30's

i just traded for a 2012 case 110a cab loader hydro shuttle 4x4.it had 980hrs on it.its just like new was used less than 200hrs a year as it was the only tractor they had under 130hp.got to replace the skidsteer quick attach on the loader as they messed it up moving concrete feed troughs.

Latest posts