tractor with loader - 2wd versus 4wd

Help Support CattleToday:

CircleC

Reaction score
I have been shopping for a tractor with a loader (used). I am trying to decide how important 4wd would be.

I have 20 acres to be cleared. I am thinking I will need to hire a dozer or excavator to knock down the big stuff. The first thing I will need my new used tractor to do is clean up behind the excavator. I think this will involve moving around a bunch of scrub, stumps, and limbs into burn piles. I will also probably need to use a box blade to smooth things out a bit (it is pretty flat land already). Anyway, after that, my work load should be pretty light; moving bales, brush hogging, maybe using a post hole digger.

I am thinking about a tractor with a front loader around 40-50 hp. Any suggestions about the importance of 4wd or anything else will be greatly appreciated.

CircleC":2ny8z4eg said:
I have been shopping for a tractor with a loader (used). I am trying to decide how important 4wd would be.

I have 20 acres to be cleared. I am thinking I will need to hire a dozer or excavator to knock down the big stuff. The first thing I will need my new used tractor to do is clean up behind the excavator. I think this will involve moving around a bunch of scrub, stumps, and limbs into burn piles. I will also probably need to use a box blade to smooth things out a bit (it is pretty flat land already). Anyway, after that, my work load should be pretty light; moving bales, brush hogging, maybe using a post hole digger.

I am thinking about a tractor with a front loader around 40-50 hp. Any suggestions about the importance of 4wd or anything else will be greatly appreciated.
you definately want a 4wd drive with a loader.an if i was you id get an 80hp tractor.since your going tobe piling brush youll need the extra hp.

bigbull338":wfuv9jyu said:
you definately want a 4wd drive with a loader.an if i was you id get an 80hp tractor.since your going tobe piling brush youll need the extra hp.

Good advice, I never knew how much difference that a 4WD could make til I bought one. Makes all the difference when handling loads in the mud, doesn't make near the ruts and will roll over debris instead of pushing it up with the front tires.

Consider spending more money with the clearing contractor and getting the place "ready to farm". The contractor already owns the equipment, likely, and you can possibly hire him for less than you can own this equipment.
80-90 HP will move a lot more stuff than 40 HP. Tractors are rarely "too big".
Front wheel drive is essential with a loader, unless your place is paved over. :lol: It costs more, but you'll spend thousands maintaining a front axle if you go 2WD.
Good luck.

Thanks, everyone!

You're right, hurleyjd. That grapple looks perfect for scrubb 'n such around. I am bout fraid to even check into the price.

It sounds like 4wd comes highly recommended. I will definitely keep that in mind. It also sounds like a good idea to have the excavator do most of the work.

I have been doing lots of research and shopping around over the last few weeks trying to get a feel for the used tractor market. I have even priced new tractors just to get some perspective. I do not want to spend the money for a new tractor. I hope to buy a good used tractor so that I can pay cash.

I know that ranching will probably never be a full time thing for me; it is just a hobby. I don't imagine ever running more than 15 head of cattle. Consequently, I don't think my tractor's workload will be too severe in the future. I think buying a used tractor will make much more sense (financially).

Anyone have thoughts on new versus used?

If you can afford it you'll be much happier with a 4wd loader tractor . my loader tractor is 2wd some day I hope to replace it with 4wd.

shorty":2ifjlv8a said:
If you can afford it you'll be much happier with a 4wd loader tractor . my loader tractor is 2wd some day I hope to replace it with 4wd.

I would be happier as well. Oh well I guess I'll use the early 70's and late 60's tractors I have until it cost to much to fix them. They work well.

Angus/Brangus":1uldmvj9 said:
A 2-wheel drive with front-end loader, in the mud, is almost useless, as all the weight is forward and the real wheels get little traction. The 4-wheel drives lessens this affect dramatically

No doubt the 4 wheel drive is best. When you have a front end loader, always put a three point hitch spear on the back and unload it last. We get a fair amount of rain here and it works.

I haven't been stuck. Your area my be worse than ours.

Wewild":184s4eqd said:
Angus/Brangus":184s4eqd said:
A 2-wheel drive with front-end loader, in the mud, is almost useless, as all the weight is forward and the real wheels get little traction. The 4-wheel drives lessens this affect dramatically

No doubt the 4 wheel drive is best. When you have a front end loader, always put a three point hitch spear on the back and unload it last. We get a fair amount of rain here and it works.

I haven't been stuck. Your area my be worse than ours.

I have a 1975 Allis 175 (63 h.p. and large frame, heavy). I've never owned a 4wd and therefore don't miss it. I suppose these older 2wd tractors with more weight handle loaders better than lighter ones. Just have to think ahead a little and not get caught having to back up a steep incline with a load especially if it's muddy and no ballast on the back. Judging all 2wd tractors' ability based on the new ones is a mistake. JMHO

Cowdirt":ien7i87n said:
Judging all 2wd tractors' ability based on the new ones is a mistake. JMHO

You may be right as I have no expierence with new tractors nor have shopped for them. I have no problem with our tractors that weigh around 9500 pounds in our enviroment.

Older, big brand tractors are heavier and 4wd is not as important. 4wd is real handy on any tractor and allows you to do alot more. Keep in mind the extra initial cost, the extra upkeep cost, and the extra fuel cost. The main thing I would be concerned about is that there are lots of problems with 4wd tractors that arent taken care of. You spoke of buying a used one, be real aware of the condition of the 4wd in the used tractor so you dont get it home and find out you have to rebuild it. Good luck

A couple years ago my dad was buying a new tractor and asked me if he should get 4 or 2wd. Being everything I have is 4wd b/c you never know when you need it(most often for me) I advised 4wd. He broke down and got it and everytime I see him he says "man did I ever tell you how glad I am you convinced me to buy 4wd?"

I have a 70hp Massey 4wd with a quick attach bush hog loader.My grapple with two thumbs cost $2200 and is the best attachment I have. I can do everything from moving 20ft sections of tree trunks two grabbing a round bale for the cows.

Latest posts