Tractor trade in prices

Help Support CattleToday:

cowsrus

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success trading in their tractor and getting anywhere near a fair price for it? The dealers i have talked to are worse than car salesmen. The last guy offered me half of what he is selling one for on his lot of the same model.

It's the same around here. They're worth nothing when you own it, but sure goes up a lot in value when the dealer takes it in on trade.

I have found you're much further ahead by buying outright and selling the old tractor privately. You always get a better deal buying outright and often times get more for the old tractor as well.

I've always been able sell one for almost as much as i paid for it several years earlier, so i thought that tractors held their value. I guess they do unless you try to trade them in to a dealer :)

You can blame lawyers and crook dealers for that. There really is no "as is/where is" anymore, at least not when buying from a dealer, unless they SPECIFICALLY mention the issue to the purchaser. In other words, the dealer is required to fix a piece of equipment if something goes wrong within a certain time period after the purchase. So dealers tend to hedge if they don't know the equipment (ex: trading a Case at a Massey dealer), don't know the owner, or if the tractor looks even remotely rough. Internal reconditioning at the dealership I sling parts at runs anywhere between $1000 to $4000 per piece of equipment. We get very pieces of equipment that are genuinely pristine and many of the previous owners are genuinely surprised at how much work their unit really needed.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3chfctev said:
You can blame lawyers and crook dealers for that. There really is no "as is/where is" anymore, at least not when buying from a dealer, unless they SPECIFICALLY mention the issue to the purchaser. In other words, the dealer is required to fix a piece of equipment if something goes wrong within a certain time period after the purchase..
Rod

It seems like dealer selling prices on used equipment run about 30% higher than average auction prices, but like Rod said it is very easy to put a couple thousand into your latest bargain. Don't ask me now I know :cboy:

Latest posts