Tractor tires

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I bought my tractor new in July 04. It is now eight years old and has 600 hrs on the clock. The rear tires have large deep cracks from the tread to the wheels. They look like they are defective. I asked the Kubota dealer about tire warranty. He told me that I was out of luck with eight years use, no warranty.
I have never before bought tractor tires so I need some recomendations for tires. Looking for rear tires that will last until the tread is worn off.

kerley":2bcbj492 said:
I bought my tractor new in July 04. It is now eight years old and has 600 hrs on the clock. The rear tires have large deep cracks from the tread to the wheels. They look like they are defective. I asked the Kubota dealer about tire warranty. He told me that I was out of luck with eight years use, no warranty.
I have never before bought tractor tires so I need some recomendations for tires. Looking for rear tires that will last until the tread is worn off.

Sheet happens with tractor tires! Between normal wear and tear and damage from foreign objects. You will probably NOT have a tire that lasts until the traction ribs wear off...just look at the discarded tractor tires at the farm & ranch tire shops, stores.

That aside,

Buy your tractor tires where the farmers buy and have installed theirs. Stay away from the places that primarily sell "car" tires as well as the big box stores and that's about the best you can do.

JMO...

Longevity of tractor tires (or any tires) often has a lot to do with whether the rig is stored inside or outside. I was pretty amazed last year when I took my Dodge in to just get the tires checked/aired up before I took a road trip to Idaho. The tread was still pretty good. But there was sidewall checking, because it's not always parked under cover -- in the barn most of the winter, and outside from spring to fall. And since I wasn't too excited about having truck tire failure(s) pulling a trailer to/from Idaho, I had them replaced. I agree with RAB -- figure out who is supplying the local ag guys, and buy your tires there. They will also have the best after-sale service.

Without a lot of daily use wearing the tread off a tractor tire isn't possible. Cracked tires is usually weather related. Parking under a shed can help delay it. It can't be prevented while in use. Dry rot will occur regardless of where you put it. Keeping the tire pressure correct will also help delay both. Ever notice how a riding lawn mower tire will crack over winter if you let it stay on a low tire till you need it. My dad's tractor that I now own is 40 years old. He never wore the tread off the tires. Dry rot always got em first.

The last replacements I bought were "American Farmer" brand. I think they're made in Tn. Seem to be wearing better than the Titans.

fitz

Firestone makes the best tractor tire for the money. Lots of times the tread cracking is because of to high of tire pressure. Kerley did you have water in your tires?? To low of air pressure will cause the side wall of the tire to crack.

highgrit beat me to mentioning Firestone as the choice for tractor tires. I use the brand only for driven tires. I use recycled air craft tires on the front of 2 wheel drive tractors. I think Bridgestone is now the source for the Firestone brand of tractor tires but from what I have read they are still using the UV treatment that Firestone used. I attend a lot of ag auctions and I can typically tell if the tires are Firestone brand from a distance. The Firestone casing will last at least 20 years without excessive cracking.

highgrit":oq4fo2po said:
Firestone makes the best tractor tire for the money. Lots of times the tread cracking is because of to high of tire pressure. Kerley did you have water in your tires?? To low of air pressure will cause the side wall of the tire to crack.
Yes I have water and [no flat] chemicles in both rear tires.

I've had plenty of tires that would not hold air, but filled with water would work great. Filled my rear tires with water on my backhoe for more traction and the tires don't leak down any more. :nod:

are your tires R1s or R4s,8yrs use out of them is real good.esp since they dont make tires like they used to.but as said replace them when they start going flat.check with your tractor dealer about getting tires from them if you dont like your local tire dealers.

mnbryant2001":3ev2p985 said:
Without a lot of daily use wearing the tread off a tractor tire isn't possible. Cracked tires is usually weather related. Parking under a shed can help delay it. It can't be prevented while in use. Dry rot will occur regardless of where you put it. Keeping the tire pressure correct will also help delay both.

I use ex airplane tires on the front. Good for over 200 mph :banana:

What do you consider a correct pressure range for rears?

Stocker Steve":3pl0k96t said:
mnbryant2001":3pl0k96t said:
Without a lot of daily use wearing the tread off a tractor tire isn't possible. Cracked tires is usually weather related. Parking under a shed can help delay it. It can't be prevented while in use. Dry rot will occur regardless of where you put it. Keeping the tire pressure correct will also help delay both.

I use ex airplane tires on the front. Good for over 200 mph :banana:

What do you consider a correct pressure range for rears?
I use the same airplane tires on the front 20ply steel, hav'nt had a flat with them yet. The rear's are the problem 14.9-26 size hard to find here unless I go to the tractor dealer where I bought the tractor, then I can buy some more off brand Jap tire's.

Latest posts