Tractor Tires/Water

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
7,157
Reaction score
0
Location
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
ROCKSPRINGS":3ql49yey said:
What is the reason for filling tractor tires with water ?
you probably don't have to worry about it but we have to use water and then add methanol for an anti freeze we used calcium for yrs but it is very corrosive
some companies have went to using a washer fluid type product but it can get expensive and methanol isn't cheap either but where you are depends if you need the antifreeze or not
 
OP
R

ROCKSPRINGS

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
678
Reaction score
0
Location
ROCKSPRINGS TEXAS
Angus Cowman":2t3fqzuq said:
ROCKSPRINGS":2t3fqzuq said:
What is the reason for filling tractor tires with water ?
you probably don't have to worry about it but we have to use water and then add methanol for an anti freeze we used calcium for yrs but it is very corrosive
some companies have went to using a washer fluid type product but it can get expensive and methanol isn't cheap either but where you are depends if you need the antifreeze or not

Thanks Angus,
I may need antifreeze for two weeks. :p
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
2
Location
MO Ozarks
Whatever is ok but even with antifreeze it can cause problems. When that big black tire sits in the sun all day and the water heats up the tire may become harder and make for a miserable ride. I don;t recall what the stuff is but it's what they're using around here as a replacement for calcium chloride, not supposed to be as corrosive and heat and cold don;t affect it as much as water with antifreeze. At one time I filled the tores with straight antifreeze but that's gotten to be prohibitively expensive now.
 

Angus Cowman

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
7,157
Reaction score
0
Location
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
jcummins":1qaiuvjh said:
I was told...use antifreeze and you won't get anyone to fix a flat for you. EPA thing.
that is why we have went to methanol as a ANTI- freeze

in a 18.4 x34 you use 15 gallons of Meth and then fill with water

Actually Rocksprings if you don't get below 20 for more than a day or so you probably don't need anti freeze in you tires especially if you use it everyday
 

jcummins

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 22, 2005
Messages
232
Reaction score
0
Location
Trinity, TX
The coldest so far at my place near Trinity has been 21. There was a really hard freeze back in the late 80s, can't recall how cold or for how long, I was out of state at the time. I have a Kubota M7040, and I'd like some weight in the tires, but having done anything because of this very thing.

A neighbor told me, if it does freeze, and you drive the tractor the ice becomes like ice picks and will do a nasty job on your tire. If I use use water in this climate at Trinity, and it does freeze...is the tractor unusable until it warms up? Or, will I have damage regardless if I use it? Trying to weight my options. For sure this tractor could use some weight.

Would filling the tire with less water reduce a problem if it does freeze?
 

Angus Cowman

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
7,157
Reaction score
0
Location
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
jcummins":2segqk7x said:
The coldest so far at my place near Trinity has been 21. There was a really hard freeze back in the late 80s, can't recall how cold or for how long, I was out of state at the time. I have a Kubota M7040, and I'd like some weight in the tires, but having done anything because of this very thing.

A neighbor told me, if it does freeze, and you drive the tractor the ice becomes like ice picks and will do a nasty job on your tire. If I use use water in this climate at Trinity, and it does freeze...is the tractor unusable until it warms up? Or, will I have damage regardless if I use it? Trying to weight my options. For sure this tractor could use some weight.

Would filling the tire with less water reduce a problem if it does freeze?
no if it freezes it freezes and it isn't good on the tire or the tube
if it isn't being used it is less likely to harm the tire unless it freezes solid but you should never move the tractor if it is frozen

Do you have any tire shops that offer farm service if you do they can fill your tires with the appropriate products and ratios if not your dealer may offer this service or they do around here at least or they can tell you where to get it done
 

john250

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
8,301
Reaction score
0
Location
Holton, IN elevation 768 ft
Calcium chloride is hard to beat, although it will corrode your rims. If you keep leaks repaired, you'll still get 40 years before you have to replace a rim. And Calcium Chloride adds weight. Salt is heavy, y'know. I think we get 50 lbs of CaCl in a 16.9x28, but it has been long enough I've forgotten for certain.
 

DiamondSCattleCo

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
1,373
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Saskatchewan
Fill it with whatever your local tire shop uses. When they come out to change a flat, they won't be impressed to have methanol or anti-freeze laced water mixed in with their calcium chloride or whatever they use. Besides, water/alcohol mix doesn't weigh near as much as calcium chloride (or whatever the fancy new stuff they're using).

Rod
 

BeefmasterB

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
614
Reaction score
0
Location
SE TX
jcummins":2mcf94yo said:
The coldest so far at my place near Trinity has been 21. There was a really hard freeze back in the late 80s, can't recall how cold or for how long, I was out of state at the time. I have a Kubota M7040, and I'd like some weight in the tires, but having done anything because of this very thing.

A neighbor told me, if it does freeze, and you drive the tractor the ice becomes like ice picks and will do a nasty job on your tire. If I use use water in this climate at Trinity, and it does freeze...is the tractor unusable until it warms up? Or, will I have damage regardless if I use it? Trying to weight my options. For sure this tractor could use some weight.

Would filling the tire with less water reduce a problem if it does freeze?

My tractor is about 3 1/2 hours west of you and I have the Kubota 6800. Have had water in the tires for the last five years and they have never froze up. It's a job you can do yourself with a water hose and a special fitting (a few bucks) that can be purchased at a Kubota dealer. Drive the tractor so that the valve stem is at the top of the wheel, remove the valve core, let out the air and then attach the water hose with the special fitting. When it's full, replace the valve core and then do the other rear tire. It's a simple job and saves you the trouble of hauling the tractor to and from a tractor tire shop.
 

cre10

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Angus Cowman":2roxdssk said:
jcummins":2roxdssk said:
I was told...use antifreeze and you won't get anyone to fix a flat for you. EPA thing.
that is why we have went to methanol as a ANTI- freeze

in a 18.4 x34 you use 15 gallons of Meth and then fill with water

Actually Rocksprings if you don't get below 20 for more than a day or so you probably don't need anti freeze in you tires especially if you use it everyday


How much total liquid would you think a 18.4x34 tire holds? A gallon of water weighs just over 8 pounds. Kind of figuring total weight per tire added with liquid..
 
Top