Tractor Supply vs Rural King

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I went my first visit ever to a Rural King yesterday at Knoxville, TN (don't leave the mountains much) :lol: and this summer they are putting one at Morristown TN not far from me.

From my take they have a lot more inventory than TSC, but pricing about the same. I tried to look hard to see if they had anything that would make it worth my time to go there versus the internet, TSC, Walmart, Co-op, etc. From my take unless they have some special sales I don't see it. All I ever heard from some of my wife's family how great Rural King is up North. When I visit with them again I can add my 2-cents now. Am I missing something?

Never been to one either but like you I always here how great they are. There suppose to open one at exit 7 in Bristol in the old Lowes building sometime.

They just opened one an hour north of me. I haven't had time to check it out yet but plan to this month sometime. They will be buying rabbits from my son to sell in that store

Rural King sells firearms and has great deals sometimes. The one's I've been to also have free popcorn. Some of their sale items are priced really cheap. I like RK, so far I've been to two stores and haven't spent a dime.

Rural King around here has TSC beat in every way. More inventory, way more variety, and better prices on most things, though not everything.

I am about 60 miles from RK headquarters and used them when they had 2 stores . They have kept much more of an ag line than tractor supply. Farm&fleet has taken over the tractor supply market in my area.

Would rather go to rk than tsc, there is lot better prices and selection for actually farming, not just backyard farming. Bucheit is better yet for cattle supplies.

We have both here in town, the RK has just been opened within the last 2-3 years. I usually go to our Southern States for most things, but if choosing between TSC and RK, I would rather go to Rural King. RK has much more inventory and a little better prices on average than TSC. Our TSC has not impressed me much. They don't seem to keep things in stock, and have too few and inexperienced employees.

True Grit Farms":2zt8qli4 said:
Rural King sells firearms and has great deals sometimes. The one's I've been to also have free popcorn. Some of their sale items are priced really cheap. I like RK, so far I've been to two stores and haven't spent a dime.

My wife got a free bag of popcorn and I noticed the guns, which is a big plus. My wife was wanting to get back to go to Sunday night church, so I had to rush it up some. It looked like they had a heck of an inventory, about anything one would want or need and the store was getting good business. My wife found pie crust shields she had been looking for and couldn't find anywhere else and I bought a couple things. I will go back again when I have more time.

Based on what I have seen (same Knoxville store and looking forward to the one in Morristown because it will be very close to me) they seem to have better prices on generic chemicals than TSC or the local Co-ops. There is no comparison with TSC in regard to selection and parts. RK has much much more selection. Two weeks ago they had 2 1/2 gallons of 2,4-d for under $30.

I am just waiting to see some reviews of some of their tractors. You can't beat their price point, but they may be total crap.

sstterry":om74hyy2 said:
Based on what I have seen (same Knoxville store and looking forward to the one in Morristown because it will be very close to me) they seem to have better prices on generic chemicals than TSC or the local Co-ops. There is no comparison with TSC in regard to selection and parts. RK has much much more selection. Two weeks ago they had 2 1/2 gallons of 2,4-d for under $30.

I am just waiting to see some reviews of some of their tractors. You can't beat their price point, but they may be total crap.

I saw the tractors and I wonder the samething. The one in Morristown is suppose to be in the old K-Mart building next to Lowes. My wife is from there. On the 2-4-D I have have a lot better luck with the Ester than the Amine, but the Ester is more expensive. I usually get a heck of a kill in my mist blower with Ester and Remedy mix, but have to watch the drift.

I shop and buy things at both but don't really like either. Employee's don't usually know anything at either. Hate buying any big items because I'll have to do all the work loading. Not a fan of popcorn so that isn't an incentive for me neither. I'll shop at the local farm stores for big or heavy items like barb wire, post, protein tubs, seed, feeders, etc.... Do like Rural King having guns and hunting supplies.

FlyingLSimmentals":3j1wu5av said:
I shop and buy things at both but don't really like either. Employee's don't usually know anything at either. Hate buying any big items because I'll have to do all the work loading. Not a fan of popcorn so that isn't an incentive for me neither. I'll shop at the local farm stores for big or heavy items like barb wire, post, protein tubs, seed, feeders, etc.... Do like Rural King having guns and hunting supplies.

I'd like to have a pallet of these.

I love popcorn, but I can't make myself get a bag at RK. Seeing the dregs and the drifters sticking their paws in it turns me off.

True Grit Farms":1k2nhz2h said:
FlyingLSimmentals":1k2nhz2h said:

I'd like to have a pallet of these.

Feather meal is the protein source in the yellow tubs if I remember right.

sstterry":1nw7pq25 said:
The ones here carry rebranded Tym tractors. A friend bought a Tym for his wife to use about 6 years ago and they really like it. But thats the only person I know that owns one.

No RK around here. Even Atwoods has TSC beat but that ain't hard. The goat, chicken and horse folks seem to like TSC ok tho.
One of my neighbors showed me a 3 year old TSC tube gate last weekend. Rusted thru in 3 places. TSC's cattle type inventory sucks...what little there is of it.

Latest posts