Tractor Supply Stores

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used barb wire from Tractor Supply Co. It is Gaucho brand. Sounds like it might be a cheep imported product.
Tom

kerley":2ttuftx2 said:
Has anyone ever used barb wire from Tractor Supply Co. It is Gaucho brand. Sounds like it might be a cheep imported product.
Tom

Wouldn't touch it myself...

We use CF&I Barb wire mfg. in Colorado. Will stretch real tight and is strong.

Other brands of less quality than CF&I (IMO) are Sheffield, and Oklahoma Wire.

Running Arrow Bill":ec16duqt said:
kerley":ec16duqt said:
Tom

Wouldn't touch it myself...

We use CF&I Barb wire mfg. in Colorado. Will stretch real tight and is strong.

Other brands of less quality than CF&I (IMO) are Sheffield, and Oklahoma Wire.

CFI is the only wire I will use. Learned that way back when I used to build fence for myself. Never use that " Gotcha " gaucho crap.

gaucho has been out over twenty years, it is 15 and 1/2 gauge , you do not stretch it as tight as 12 and 1/2 gauge, it is a springy ,twisty type of wire harder to work with,because of the the galvanize it will outlast other wire , I have some built in 1980 still no rust, 12 and 1/2 gauge will start rusting here in 5 to 10 years because of the oil field gas in the air and has to be replaced in 15 yrs. If you ever have to roll it back up it is a pain in the butt , and the barbs are so sharp you are always snagging you cloths or cutting yourself and you sure arn't going to crawl throught it if you have a beer belly, also you do not want to use it were water will wash it down because it is hard to get back up, but the longivity of the wire outweights all the negatives and that is about all that is used in this part of Texas. that all I have used since the 80's

We get Gaucho from the local Co-Op, too. It's a bit hard to work with, but I'd rather use it than anything else.

To each his own. I had my own fencing company for five years and didnt build a single Gaucho fence. Of course it was all depending on what the customer wanted . Its just not popular in my area.

The company that makes gaucho Bekaert or how ever you spell it has started making a 14ga wire that I used on one fence job and it seems like pretty good wire the guys put my wire up liked it as well as the 12.5 ga and alot better than the original gaucho

if buying Gaucho wire be sure it is made by Bekeart (sp)

cfpinz":3pe5qce5 said:
We get Gaucho from the local Co-Op, too. It's a bit hard to work with, but I'd rather use it than anything else.
Haven't used mich else in the last 20 years.
Fences we built after a flood in 1985:
Gaucho - no rust
12.5 gauge Class I coated - rusty and needs replacing

Gaucho weighs less, costs less and has to be replaced less often than 12 1/2 gauge wire. Less is more. In fact, I've never replaced gaucho unless it was damaged by a tree falling on it. I have some that is approaching the twenty year mark.

Latest posts