Tractor Supply solar charger

Help Support CattleToday:

grandlake

Reaction score
Just bought a 10 mile charger and have about 1 mile of fence. No weeds, new 14 ga wire and 2 ground rods. Left charging for 3 days prior to turning on. I can hold the fence with only a tickle. Anybody have any prior experience with these chargers? Return? Other brand suggestions?

Ground yourself better..... :lol: ....

Probably .1 to .15 joule output. Any leakage anywhere and your not going to get much spark. Course for me, just a little spark is to much. :shock: :shock: :shock: Got lucky today. Closing a barb wire gap that has a 1 1/4 pipe for a post. Heard the 1.2 joule snap but luckily it found a better ground than going through me.

American Farmworks brand?

(TSC dropped Zareba around here last year and replaced them with AF brand, which is just a relabeled Zareba--all the same company that also makes Victor mouse traps)

That's kind of like buying socks at Walmart......They just keep making everything cheaper. If you want good fence parts, shop at a fence parts store. lol We stock Parmak and Kencove chargers, but I like the looks of the ones that were discussed in a thread over the weekend.

grandlake":i24dgjg3 said:
Just bought a 10 mile charger and have about 1 mile of fence. No weeds, new 14 ga wire and 2 ground rods. Left charging for 3 days prior to turning on. I can hold the fence with only a tickle. Anybody have any prior experience with these chargers? Return? Other brand suggestions?

Return and buy a Parmak

The bolts at TSC are junk. It would stand to reason, that the fencing supplies are inferior as well.

Farm Fence Solutions":250i0px7 said:
That's kind of like buying socks at Walmart......They just keep making everything cheaper. If you want good fence parts, shop at a fence parts store. lol We stock Parmak and Kencove chargers, but I like the looks of the ones that were discussed in a thread over the weekend.
What would you use for insulators running a 14 guage hotwire on inside a net wire fence?

Caustic Burno":39l3lgha said:
grandlake":39l3lgha said:

Return and buy a Parmak

I'm going to second this. Return and buy a paramark 12. Report back on how much it tickle's when you grab hold. :D

Their $150 unit has a 4 star rating. Others of theirs were viewed very low. Have a new neighbor that is fixing to get one. Fencing 2 acres, ground wire, grounded at every post (4' steel hot wire or T post with paint removed accompanying hot wire), 6' ground at unit. We'll see.

On insulators, they have yellow for line posts and black for corners. 14 AWG wire is what I found works best for me.

On your 1.2 Joule smack Vett, that's a pretty good whack. I would imagine that the solar units are light dosages considering the efficiency of solar panels. Course, my experience with hot wires is once they get smacked they stay away. Had another neighbor with about 50 acres fenced with one and it was only about a foot off the ground. Never saw that before but the grass was clipped nicely on both sides (by them) but the cows were on the inside.

I used to test mine with a stem of Johnson grass. Start out at about 10" and push forward till you felt the tingle, realizing that your boots were insulating you, or use my knife blade on a steel post and jump across to it.

RanchMan90":3njfmh54 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3njfmh54 said:
What would you use for insulators running a 14 guage hotwire on inside a net wire fence?

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Offsets_detail_IWR6.php

These for wood posts. We have them for T posts, as well. And don't call Kencove....Call my wife! :D

callmefence":2732fnos said:
Caustic Burno":2732fnos said:
grandlake":2732fnos said:

Return and buy a Parmak

I'm going to second this. Return and buy a paramark 12. Report back on how much it tickle's when you grab hold. :D

Yep, and don't timidly just brush the backside of your hand on the wire. Grab a holt of that sucker, like ya mean it. :lol: :lol:

Walked the entire fence line again yesterday. No grounding and no branches on it. I will take your advice and try to find a parmak. Thanks.

greybeard":1yu7gjxc said:
American Farmworks brand?

(TSC dropped Zareba around here last year and replaced them with AF brand, which is just a relabeled Zareba--all the same company that also makes Victor mouse traps)
. Good! those were made to sell, not intended for use apparently....

Parmak is tried and true. I literally sell 100's a year.
But I'm getting lots of positive feed back and losing business to
http://www.fencemasteramerica.com

I've never owned one but they are taking my business everyday.
Wheat pasture guys in Oklahoma swear by them.

Edit to add
Before Woodstream bought American farm works they changed the name to Zareba because they sold fencers world wide and people in other countries didn't like America and wouldn't buy American Farm works chargers because of the name.

I had better results using separate components. Solar panel,good 12v fence charger and almost any 12v battery that will hold a decent charge. Have swapped out dead core battery for a core that would still hold some charge for free.

Caustic Burno":2pt6g9zk said:
grandlake":2pt6g9zk said:

Return and buy a Parmak

I have 3 Parmak charges and I wouldn't buy anything else.

I returned the TSC charger and ordered a Parmak. No questions or problems returning. It should come in tomorrow and I will let it charge up before hooking it up. Meanwhile I just jumped a wire from my existing car battery powered fence.

RanchMan90":2zlo96ch said:

My fencing was usually 5 strand "Gaucho" brand, 15 ½ gauge high tensile made in Arkansas. Best wire I ever touched for sharp barbs and longevity of zinc coating. Doesn't stretch so you need to get it tight when you put it up. Plus it's lighter and easier for a one man operation to put up.
I used T posts as line posts and used the long plastic (yellow or black, usually black but both wear the same) T post standoff to carry the 14 AWG wire. Had the ground of the charger attached to the barbed wire (plus grounded) so I had ground all along with the hot. Kept the cows from doing the "grass is greener" thing and pushing your fence over.

Latest posts