Tractor Size and HP

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
TT just got a tractor. I am glad he chose a tractor with some weight and HP. If you are only operating with one utility tractor to feed hay, mow, run a FEL, etc. I see a lot of people go for small tractors in the 45 and 50 HP range. I made that mistake and went right back with it and jumped from 50 HP to 85 HP. My tractor is a JD 5083E. Tested at 85 HP.

If you rotary mow with a bushhog on steep terrain and lift heavy rolls of hay on unlevel hay fields, a small tractor is not as safe.

Margonme":1k94s4ne said:
If you rotary mow with a bushhog on steep terrain and lift heavy rolls of hay on unlevel hay fields, a small tractor is not as safe.
Truer words were never spoken!

Yep, agreed, though using a 4wd for cutting hay on flat fields is a waste. I like having several, so I have the right tool for each job

Nesikep":2u1ejt4y said:
Yep, agreed, though using a 4wd for cutting hay on flat fields is a waste. I like having several, so I have the right tool for each job

I disagree. It depends on what your ground is like. Our "flat" fields are usually the ones that hold water the best so you may or may not run into some bad spots. Most are hills. On steep grades I feel that having the front end pulling is better that just lugging the tractor. Besides if I can use the same tractor to feed with in the winter and do hay in the summer that's one less piece of equipment to worry with. Just my :2cents:

With today's tractors 4 wheel drive is almost a must because they are so light. I farmed with smaller tractors for years , around 50-60 hp. Now I have finally upgraded to larger tractors 80hp plus I couldn't imagine going back.

Also if you have rough fields there is a big bonus to having those big tires on the front too. :cowboy:

The outer Bluegrass is Ridge and Holler Country. This is my hay field. You are only seeing approximately a fourth of it. That ridge is long. The hay field runs down those hillsides. When the roller is full he pulls up on the top to drop the roll. This is 100 HP range tractor work. I contract the mowing, raking and rolling (people don't call it baling here). Except for raking, all my contractor's tractors are 80 to 100 HP FWD.

BTW: that is a recent picture. Way too green here for late August!
zjure1.jpg

dun":33hl3bf0 said:
Margonme":33hl3bf0 said:
Truer words were never spoken!

We run a 120hp CaseIH tractor on our 15' heavy duty Land Pride cutter. On some of our hills I'm glad we don't use a smaller tractor.

pricefarm":33hl3bf0 said:
With today's tractors 4 wheel drive is almost a must because they are so light. I farmed with smaller tractors for years , around 50-60 hp. Now I have finally upgraded to larger tractors 80hp plus I couldn't imagine going back.
arkie1":33hl3bf0 said:
Nesikep":33hl3bf0 said:

I disagree. It depends on what your ground is like. Our "flat" fields are usually the ones that hold water the best so you may or may not run into some bad spots. Most are hills. On steep grades I feel that having the front end pulling is better that just lugging the tractor. Besides if I can use the same tractor to feed with in the winter and do hay in the summer that's one less piece of equipment to worry with. Just my :2cents:

All very true about 4wd!!!
Don't forget about the resale value

Nesikep":1vpiws9l said:

A 4wd is so much better it's in a different class for cutting hay. They turn better and don't tear or rut the field up, and are way smoother ride wise. Two wheel drive tractors are dinosaurs around here, and there's no reason not to have 4-wheel drive besides the price.

Yes, resale value is better, but only if 4wd is still working when you sell it, and you do pay a significant premium when you buy it.

I challenge anyone with any 4wd tractor to turn tighter than my MF165.

I can see how 4wd may be beneficial for some people haying, but in these parts you NEVER have wet spots in a field. I am in the market for a ~75hp 4wd with loader for loading manure spreaders, etc.. Looking at something like an IH 784 or similar, which is built heavy. Yes a lot of the newer tractors are built too light for their HP rating.. all fine and dandy if you're doing PTO intensive work, but trying to do heavy field work and they just spin. All I'm advocating is the right tool for the job.. you don't drive finishing nails with a 9 lb sledge

Nesikep":79it0eqy said:
Yes, resale value is better, but only if 4wd is still working when you sell it, and you do pay a significant premium when you buy it.

I can see how 4wd may be beneficial for some people haying, but in these parts you NEVER have wet spots in a field. I am in the market for a ~75hp 4wd with loader for loading manure spreaders, etc.. Looking at something like an IH 784 or similar, which is built heavy. Yes a lot of the newer tractors are built too light for their HP rating.. all fine and dandy if you're doing PTO intensive work, but trying to do heavy field work and they just spin. All I'm advocating is the right tool for the job.. you don't drive finishing nails with a 9 lb sledge

That is a heavy statement! 8)

Nesikep":f8q7uaxi said:

I agree Nesi. Personally I like having as many tractors as I can :nod: . But if you need the Swiss Army Knife tractor I'd suggest getting 4wd.

Nesikep":3ev1y7mb said:
But you only have one a$$...(thats what a banker told me when I started dairying). Eventually did need two though.

We have 4.. 30hp Leyland 154 gas job (30hrs/yr), excellent for cultivating and seeding, Massey 165 that does the slightly heavier cultivating and most of the haying work (100-150 hrs/yr), IH 684 that does plowing, discing and bale picking (100hrs/yr), and finally the old Ford County 90hp 4wd.. takes 10 acres to turn it around, but if you want a monster for subsoiling, skidding and manure/slop scraping, etc you'll be hard pressed to stall it out (20hrs/yr).. We also have a JD350B track loader with hoe attachment, it probably sees about 50hrs/year. It does most of the compost turning and loading.
The great thing about this is I can replace any one of them for about $5K or less, I don't overwork any one of them or hour any of them out.. if one breaks (hey, they're old!) I have another similar enough in size to finish the job

I had darn near forgotten how to take mine out of 4wd when I had to drive about 6 miles and back on a paved road. Other than pavement time mine hasn;t been out of 4wd but maybe twice in 5 years. I kick myslef for having been penny wise and pound foolish all those years I refused to have a 4wd tractor.

Latest posts