Tractor Recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":ng0b0ov8 said:
yes its true the kubotas are lite.but thats because they arnt made of the heavy steel tractors of old was made with

The type of steel has nothing to do with it. Kubota doesn't want to spend the money on a heavier frame. Here is a good example. Deere makes tractors in the 5000 series that are lighter like the Kubotas. This is so that they can be priced like a Kubota. If you want a heavier tractor, look at the John Deere 6010, 6020 and 6030 series. They weigh more than the other manufacturer's larger hp tractors.

If you take it easy and don't do any hard loader work like digging holes in clay or black gumbo or pushing down trees, etc any of the lighter tractors will work fine for loading hay and other light work.

johndeerefarmer":3qzy13vd said:
bigbull338":3qzy13vd said:
yes its true the kubotas are lite.but thats because they arnt made of the heavy steel tractors of old was made with

The type of steel has nothing to do with it. Kubota doesn't want to spend the money on a heavier frame. Here is a good example. Deere makes tractors in the 5000 series that are lighter like the Kubotas. This is so that they can be priced like a Kubota. If you want a heavier tractor, look at the John Deere 6010, 6020 and 6030 series. They weigh more than the other manufacturer's larger hp tractors.

If you take it easy and don't do any hard loader work like digging holes in clay or black gumbo or pushing down trees, etc any of the lighter tractors will work fine for loading hay and other light work.

Not true about weighing more. I just bought a Kubota M126x that weighs 15,000 #'s. As far as I'm concerned Our John Deere 6430 is the worst purchase we have ever made.

Sizmic

sizmic, that 15,000 lbs. must be with the tires loaded, wheel weights and front end loader on. Dry weight is only 10,141 lbs. according to Kubota. Anything over 6,000 lbs. will work in the hay fields. What is wrong with the 6430? Been thinking about buying one myself.

sizmic":m7x85wmx said:
johndeerefarmer":m7x85wmx said:
bigbull338":m7x85wmx said:

Not true about weighing more. I just bought a Kubota M126x that weighs 15,000 #'s. As far as I'm concerned Our John Deere 6430 is the worst purchase we have ever made.

Sizmic
You are wrong. The Kubota Power Crawler M126x only weighs 11,464 and it has the heavy undercarriage and tracks. The wheeled M126x weighs a little over 10k. A 6430 weighs 10845 lbs.

Now on my 6220 if you want to count the weight of my front end loader and ballast in my tires then I come in at over 12,000 lbs.
We have a 2002 and a 2005 6220. 2005 is 4wd. So far we have replaced all off the fuel lines because they start to seep. On the 4wd I had the replace the rubber boots on the steering linkage as they finally tore. Let's see what else. Oh, on the 2002, I replaced the battery in 2010. It only lasted 8 years- dang German piece of crap. :lol: The 2005 still has it's original battery.

Also the Deere has closed center hydraulics which saves on fuel, as it only generates hydraulic pressure when needed. The Kubota is open center which means it runs full pressure all of the time and sucks down extra fuel

Highgrit, yes it does have loader, cast wheels, and methanol. It weighed 14,902 when it arrived, I saw the ticket.

JDfarmer, now you are calling me a liar, I never specified what it had on it. You made the generalization that Kubotas could never weigh as much as Deere. Compare JD 7120 and Kubota M135x.
We have 4 Kubotas now, none of them have ever been in the shop. Our JD goes at least twice a year and it has less than 2000 hrs. on it. The closed center hydraulics fuel savings could never make up for our downtime and repair costs! In side by side fuel trials my 126 used 3/4 the fuel the 6430 did doing the same work, disk mowing. John Deere does make good batteries, oh wait, I'm not sure they make them.

Sizmic

Edit:
Taken from Kubotas comparison website:
Kubota M126 = 10480#'s std weight
JD 6430 = 10474#'s std weight
CaseIH 115 Maxxum = 10890#'s std weight
New Holland T6050 = 11336#'s std weight

Kubota M126 field ready weight = 14405#'s

sizmic":38envmfd said:
Highgrit, yes it does have loader, cast wheels, and methanol. It weighed 14,902 when it arrived, I saw the ticket.

JDfarmer, now you are calling me a liar, I never specified what it had on it. You made the generalization that Kubotas could never weigh as much as Deere. Compare JD 7120 and Kubota M135x.
We have 4 Kubotas now, none of them have ever been in the shop. Our JD goes at least twice a year and it has less than 2000 hrs. on it. The closed center hydraulics fuel savings could never make up for our downtime and repair costs! In side by side fuel trials my 126 used 3/4 the fuel the 6430 did doing the same work, disk mowing. John Deere does make good batteries, oh wait, I'm not sure they make them.

Sizmic

Edit:
Taken from Kubotas comparison website:
Kubota M126 = 10480#'s std weight
JD 6430 = 10474#'s std weight
CaseIH 115 Maxxum = 10890#'s std weight
New Holland T6050 = 11336#'s std weight

Kubota M126 field ready weight = 14405#'s

John Deere batteries are made in Germany and shipped over here dry. You did not specify that your tractor was equipped with loader and weights, as you knew that you didn't have a leg to stand on. John Deere's are more fuel efficient than Kubota's. Check Nebraska Tractor Tests. While you are there, why don't you look at what Nebraska weighed them in as:
Kubota M135X 10305 lbs
Deere 6430 10845 lbs.
Now who do you suppose is the least biased? Nebraska Tractor Tests or Kubota?
I like how you down played Deere's superior closed center hydraulic system.

Maybe you should compare front end loader weight's while you are at it. The only way Kubota can win is if you have the bucket full of concrete.

You also have never told us what all has kept breaking on your Deere.

Nuff Said.. You Lose. Adios :mrgreen:

johndeerefarmer":360hca7z said:
Also the Deere has closed center hydraulics which saves on fuel, as it only generates hydraulic pressure when needed. The Kubota is open center which means it runs full pressure all of the time and sucks down extra fuel
A open center system is not under full pressure all the time, if it was it would go over relief. It flows fluid all the time just not under a full pressure load. Each system has their advantages, given a choice for most applications I would take open center. They are less troublesome, take take from someone who works on hyddraulics for a living.

JDFarmer,
What, no comment?
I posted your so called unbiased results. You might want to take a closer look.

Sizmic

Stocker Steve":1f75nnah said:
If you don't mind having collectable equipment JI Case is one of your better values.
Built well for the day, heavy for good 2WD traction, and not the right color for most people.
You still see some good 730 or 830 w/ loader outfits around.
Case IH carries the common parts.
And Kubota orange is almost a match for JI orange ;-)

I just bought a JI Case for the wife. :bday: The trucker called it old when we loaded but I pointed out it was made on the same year she was. He swallowed hard and said how nice the rubber was.

What model? Your right about the price on them. Though some have there problems. Dad bought a Case 1175 in 1972. She is in the yard. Grew up on it and figure it will outlast me. The clutch will put you in pain if you mash it to many times in one day. The brakes were never good and shifting is not the best. But that Cummings turbo 451 is the bomb. Other than standard service the hydro pump and clutch have been replaced twice. The handpump on the steering was repalced 3 years ago and I rebuilt the front end at that time because Dad hit a cattle trail leading into the creek and put her on the ground. The rebuild was needed though. Never have replaced but one radiator hose. The radiator is 40 years old. Never seen one last that long on a car. I plan to celebrate it's 80'th year if I last that long. I see them sell on occasion from $4000 to $6000. Parts are still around and last I checked the engine could be rebuilt locally for $3000. Cheap for 125 hp. And if you get that baby stuck you really shouldn't have been there in the first place.Been done and you can take a bath in the hole it leaves!

mnbryant2001":ie24ovd0 said:
Stocker Steve":ie24ovd0 said:
If you don't mind having collectable equipment JI Case is one of your better values.
Built well for the day, heavy for good 2WD traction, and not the right color for most people.

I just bought a JI Case for the wife. :bday: The trucker called it old when we loaded but I pointed out it was made on the same year she was. He swallowed hard and said how nice the rubber was.

What model? Your right about the price on them. Though some have there problems. Dad bought a Case 1175 in 1972. She is in the yard. Grew up on it and figure it will outlast me. The clutch will put you in pain if you mash it to many times in one day. The brakes were never good and shifting is not the best. But that Cummings turbo 451 is the bomb. Other than standard service the hydro pump and clutch have been replaced twice. The handpump on the steering was repalced 3 years ago and I rebuilt the front end at that time because Dad hit a cattle trail leading into the creek and put her on the ground. The rebuild was needed though. Never have replaced but one radiator hose. The radiator is 40 years old. Never seen one last that long on a car. I plan to celebrate it's 80'th year if I last that long. I see them sell on occasion from $4000 to $6000. Parts are still around and last I checked the engine could be rebuilt locally for $3000. Cheap for 125 hp. And if you get that baby stuck you really shouldn't have been there in the first place.Been done and you can take a bath in the hole it leaves!

Bought a 730 Comfort King Loader Tractor for $2100. Needed rubber, some cylinder seals, a seat, and some bronze bushings. A workhorse.
Bought a 801 with Case o matic :banana: for $2400. It had 3 new tires... Needed a seat, front tire, brake work, and some bronze bushings. Also a work horse but rough riding.
Missed a 970 with grabble... Short on $ at the time.
Bought a dualed up 1175 for $8500. :shock: I don't like to pay that much for a tractor but she was clean, had new rear radials, and 5900 hours. Needed brake work, temperature sensor, and AC recharge. Mechancial shift and lots of power!

Stocker Steve":35itn1j7 said:
mnbryant2001":35itn1j7 said:
Stocker Steve":35itn1j7 said:

Bought a 730 Comfort King Loader Tractor for $2100. Needed rubber, some cylinder seals, a seat, and some bronze bushings. A workhorse.
Bought a 801 with Case o matic :banana: for $2400. It had 3 new tires... Needed a seat, front tire, brake work, and some bronze bushings. Also a work horse but rough riding.
Missed a 970 with grabble... Short on $ at the time.
Bought a dualed up 1175 for $8500. :shock: I don't like to pay that much for a tractor but she was clean, had new rear radials, and 5900 hours. Needed brake work, temperature sensor, and AC recharge. Mechancial shift and lots of power!

Wish mine had A/C. Nothing like the sunshine and the heat from the exhaust on a 95 degree day! I was temped to by a junk one near me that had a cab. But it was a 1978. Not much would interchange for spare parts. Don't know the hours on mine. Most of the gauges quit working by 1990. Mine is also mechanical shift. Well wore. Had to put washers in it because you could move the shift lever in between the plates. Case wanted about a grand for the shifter. I don't even notice the washers are there. :banana:

Steve - I have a 2090 and it has been a good tractor. Had the power-shift gone through once and that was around $4000 8-9 years ago, other than that nothing major. It has a lot of oil leaks, but I am really lazy about fixing them unless they are bad, so probably no more than any other tractor that old. Cab is pretty comfortable and all levers are in a decent location. Pretty smooth ride and pulls good. I recently bought a IH 1086 and so far I would much rather be in the Case than the IH, but it might just be because I am more used to the 2090.

I see lots of 2290's around but not as many 2390's. I think you would like either one. Another good tractor around that era and size would be a White 2-135, would probably be a little cheaper than a 2290 too. Good luck.

ChrisB said:
Steve - I have a 2090 and it has been a good tractor. Had the power-shift gone through once and that was around $4000 8-9 years ago, other than that nothing major. It has a lot of oil leaks, but I am really lazy about fixing them unless they are bad, so probably no more than any other tractor that old. Cab is pretty comfortable and all levers are in a decent location. Pretty smooth ride and pulls good. quote]

Lots of opinons on the power shift tranny. Mechanic said many folks don't change filters nor hydraulic oil as recommended and they don't tolerate that.
How many hours on yours?

Neighbor has a 2090 for over 15 years. Some trouble with the powershift, park and lift. He works it pretty hard, really likes it.

i am running a jx 95 case ih with a l730 loader. It is 95 hp but is easy on fuel as it has 4 cyl diesel. Mine was used with 1950 hrs, cab air heat, front wheel assist, the big 18.4 34 rubber, three point hitch, loader and joystick. it is a 2006. i paid 30,000 for it a month ago and am very happy with it. hope this helps

to do a powershift in a 2090 or 2290 you are looking at close to 10000 to replace. If going with the 90 series try to get the newer ones. I do believe the 1978 and 1979 models had a shorter wheel base. The 2390 is a good tractor but a bit hard on fuel and only has a 1000 pto shaft. Depending on your operation that may be a real problem. Hope this helps