Tractor question

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
I'm fixing to buy a tractor unsure what type just know I have $15k to spend on one but have one question that I need some advice on. How many hours are considered high on a tractor? I know that a low hour tractor could have been used hard but just on average what would you say is a decent amount of hours for a used tractor?

I knew that it was a complicated question but just needed an idea on what is high and whats average. Thanks

On a utility style farm tractor, I'd really look it over if it was much over 3000 hrs. A small CUT anything much over 1500 hrs. If you looking at some of the older field tractors 6000 to 7000 hrs wouldn't be too bad.
My Father bought a new little IH 454 that was trashed out at 2000 hrs, I bought a JD 4020 with 5000 hrs in it, sold it at 10,000 and it is still going strong. I replaced the 4020 with a JD 2640 that ended up needing more in repairs than what I gave for it. it had about 3500 hrs on it when I bought it and about 3700 when I traded it 10 months later. Honest field hours aren't all that bad if a machine is maintained, but hard use/abuse can kill one in a hurry.

Latest posts