Tractor Life?

Help Support CattleToday:

DustyH

Reaction score
I am probably going to be purchasing a used tractor in the very near future. I am looking at a JD5425 and 5325. What is the expected life span on these tractors before major work is necessary? I know that there are alot of variables but I am looking for ball park figures. What about the New Holland TN series? Is 4000hrs. expecting too much?

I would expect a lot more then 4k hours. For moderate usage that's only 4 years.

Not sure about 5000 series JD tractors.
We have some older JD tractors and most of them required an engine overhaul at about 5,000 hours. So you can buy the used tractor for 5 to 9 K but having someone do a diesel overhaul can cost almost as much...

We have a JD 5510 with right at 3900 hours, sure hope it doesn;t need an overhaul that soon. My old internationals didn;t require much work until they approached 10k hours, but boy it was a doozy when it happened.

dun":oygdi8mt said:
We have a JD 5510 with right at 3900 hours, sure hope it doesn;t need an overhaul that soon. My old internationals didn;t require much work until they approached 10k hours, but boy it was a doozy when it happened.

The German diesels that International used were known for longer than average life. About 8,000 to 10,000 hours before overhaul was not unusual. Not sure about gasers.

It does depend on the machine. At 4000 hours a combine is worn out, but at 4000 hours, most tractors are just "broken in". I would say try to shoot for less hours than 3000 unless you can get a really good deal on a higher hour tractor, then you can consider yourself lucky if you don't have to plunk down any money on an overhaul.

I have some tractors with way more than 4000 hours on them, and have no real complaints. However, I have a 276 series 2 Ford BiDirectional with 5000 hours on it, and I just want to chuck rocks at it. :x

b.jpg

(I suppose sitting it over on it's side probabaly didn't help it much though. :oops: )

Sometimes it the little irritations that can be a larger agrivation than the big problems. Check the machine to see how leaky it is. And if it's been all cleaned up, run the thing around and warm it up a bit, and then see how oily it gets. Personally I would rather replace a finnal drive seal, or valve cover gaskets, than have to pin down half a dozen or so hydraulic oil leaks. :???:

The ones I am looking at have less than 800 hrs., but they are about $10,000 cheaper than a quote for a new one.

our main tractor is 30yrs old.an its still going strong.the block crack on the motor at 3400hrs.but we found out that it was a bad motor.so we put a new motor in it 17yrs ago.so id say a tractor can last 10,000 to 12,000 hrs or more.

bigbull338":i61k6m7i said:
our main tractor is 30yrs old.an its still going strong.the block crack on the motor at 3400hrs.but we found out that it was a bad motor.so we put a new motor in it 17yrs ago.so id say a tractor can last 10,000 to 12,000 hrs or more.

I am still running a 30 year old Massey with an A4236 Perkins, had to get the injectors rebuilt last year.
I contacted Massey to see if they were still under warranty.

Latest posts