Tractor hp

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Im new here but have been lurking for awhile now. This may sound like a dumb question but how big of a tractor do I need to lift a 1200 lb hay bale with a spear?

I read on here before that If I had a loader on the front, I would be better off getting a 4wd. I assume this is for traction purposes right?

The tractor weight is more important than the actual HP. I know of a JD 5400 that is used and it is scary, OK on level ground with a reliable operator. I know of several Farmall Ms used to move round bales, less HP but more iron. We used a 2950 JD(80hp?) for a while and it seemed good, now we use a 4055(105hp) with MFWD and it is soooooo much better. Handles the weight better and the front wheel assist is stronger and the front tires don't sink so bad.

victory hunter":3cj7qmqw said:
I read on here before that If I had a loader on the front, I would be better off getting a 4wd. I assume this is for traction purposes right?

And the front tires won't sink up in the mud nearly as bad as the ones on a 2WD

More thne HP, other then physical size and weight, it's the hydraulics and they;re capacity that is important.

victory hunter":452i94qd said:
Im new here but have been lurking for awhile now. This may sound like a dumb question but how big of a tractor do I need to lift a 1200 lb hay bale with a spear?
You need a tractor that has a base weight over 3500 LBS. Remember that if you fluid fill the tires and hang some extra weight on the tractor you can easily add 1000 Lbs to the weight of the tractor.

If you add fluid to the tire you have more flats and cost more to get them fixed and dirty to take off. Weight is cheaper in the long haul. If you have rock free dirty may be different.
4 wheel DR helps when you lift with front takes weight off back loose traction in rear.

We have a 4WD 30 HP Kubota with twin fork bale spear. Keep a brush hog attached to rear for weight & ballast.

We can move an 800 to 1200 lb bale without any problem. Just have to keep the tractor LEVEL as much as possible. Also, our rear wheels are set out as far as they can be for more wheel base. When we move those round bales, we don't raise the bale over about ONE FOOT off ground to keep center of gravity as low as possible.

Kubota does ok...just have to be CAREFUL.

I have two Tractors that I use to move Bales. A Kubota 95 HP 4WD and a JD 35HP 4WD. I added 600lbs to the front of the JD and have no problem moving bales with a Hay Spike on the rear. The smaller tractor is much cheaper to operate.

Angus/Brangus":r3p5bmnr said:
With the smaller HP tractors I would think that having a bale on the rear to balance the bale on the front would become extremely important. A 1200 lb bale on the front of a 45 hp tractor sounds like a nose dive to me, without rear weight. You can get away with it on much larger tractors.

We have both a two wheel drive 64 hp Kubota and a 4 wheel drive 64 hp Kubota. The 4-wheel drive will lift and carry a large round bale on front, WITHOUT rear weight, with ease. With the 2-wheel drive, the same exercise is downright dangerous!!
I have moved 1000+ bales with a 35hp Massey, with the spike on the rear. No problems except if the bales are wet, then have to back up all the way.
Now with the JD 2440 I have, front end spear is not problem. Its a 2WD, has not bogged down one single bit in mud, snow, or whatever. Its a hoss..thats for sure.

Limomike":i7kwgnn4 said:
Angus/Brangus":i7kwgnn4 said:
With the smaller HP tractors I would think that having a bale on the rear to balance the bale on the front would become extremely important. A 1200 lb bale on the front of a 45 hp tractor sounds like a nose dive to me, without rear weight. You can get away with it on much larger tractors.

We have both a two wheel drive 64 hp Kubota and a 4 wheel drive 64 hp Kubota. The 4-wheel drive will lift and carry a large round bale on front, WITHOUT rear weight, with ease. With the 2-wheel drive, the same exercise is downright dangerous!!
I have moved 1000+ bales with a 35hp Massey, with the spike on the rear. No problems except if the bales are wet, then have to back up all the way.
Now with the JD 2440 I have, front end spear is not problem. Its a 2WD, has not bogged down one single bit in mud, snow, or whatever. Its a hoss..thats for sure.
I'm guessing the mud and snow have never gotten very deep there. A 2wd 2440 wouldn't get very far here in the snow during the winter even with chains and it would be even more worthless in the spring here in the mud. There is nothing like hauling manure while dragging the spreader thru the snow that is belly deep on the tractor. Fun Fun Fun

You can move a large round bale with a 25 HP tractor with a tumble bug round bale mover.
Bulldog%20Bug%20007c.jpg

Latest posts