Tractor Exhaust Hieght ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
My current project tractor came with a stubby aftermarket muffler. After I put a new seat on it, the exhaust is below my head height. If there are no door clearance issues - - how far above you should the exhaust be on an open station tractor?

You have doors on an open station tractor?
Both of mine are just a little above or just even with my head, but both have a slight angle in the pipe right at the top of the stack. The rain flap will also deflect most of the exhaust away from you if positioned right.

Coincidentally, I am in the process of ordering two stainless 304 extensions for my open station tractors. One has been too short for far too long, below eye level, and I get headaches from the exhaust, so going to add at least a two, maybe three foot extension. Buggered the muffler on the other open tractor while bushhogging and need the same setup for it as I am putting same model Walker muffler on it.

Someone needs to invent a "spring" exhaust that can be 5' high, but flex and spring back to position when I git tree branches.

M.Magis":37v7e91m said:
Someone needs to invent a "spring" exhaust that can be 5' high, but flex and spring back to position when I git tree branches.
Flex pipe....... but they don't spring back straight and once hit, they usually bend down blowing right in your face and the flex joints leak rain water in after awhile.......

greybeard":32nd3c9l said:
M.Magis":32nd3c9l said:
Flex pipe....... but they don't spring back straight and once hit, they usually bend down blowing right in your face and the flex joints leak rain water in after awhile.......
That may still be better than having to keep welding mine back on. I'll at least look into it, thanks.

Stocker Steve":83tjq009 said:
My current project tractor came with a stubby aftermarket muffler. After I put a new seat on it, the exhaust is below my head height. If there are no door clearance issues - - how far above you should the exhaust be on an open station tractor?

I prefer mine to exhaust under the tractor.

Aaron":141q0ojr said:
Coincidentally, I am in the process of ordering two stainless 304 extensions for my open station tractors. One has been too short for far too long, below eye level, and I get headaches from the exhaust, so going to add at least a two, maybe three foot extension.

Who are you ordering thru?
Why stainless?

I've known some, with certain tractors, that they were able to flip the exhaust manifold upside down, and run the the exhaust out the bottom and back like they did with 8n & 9n Fords, but lots of tractors that isn't possible or even desirable because of the rough environment & terrain the bottom of the tractor sees..

Caustic Burno":7uelwpti said:
Stocker Steve":7uelwpti said:

I have a bottom exhaust on my 3000, and I prefer it for all times of year except hay season. It drags in the wind row while baling and once started a small fire.

Stocker Steve":1lc5gfvb said:
Aaron":1lc5gfvb said:
Coincidentally, I am in the process of ordering two stainless 304 extensions for my open station tractors. One has been too short for far too long, below eye level, and I get headaches from the exhaust, so going to add at least a two, maybe three foot extension.

Who are you ordering thru?
Why stainless?

Getting a quote through company on EBay that makes them up in US. He had multiple lengths and sizes and bundles, but not a 2' section of 2.25" ID to 2.25" OD. 3' yes, but I don't want to cut off and waste any. I would guess based on his other prices that it will be about $50 US for two of them. I'll PM you the name later tonight when I look it up.

Going stainless because I hate rust on exhaust pipes. The muffler - Walker Quiet Flow SS is Walker's top end muffler and stainless - still as bright and clean as the day I bought it about 8 years ago. And it is always outside. And it definitely is quiet, without sacrificing flow.

greybeard":2q5woooi said:
You have doors on an open station tractor?
Both of mine are just a little above or just even with my head, but both have a slight angle in the pipe right at the top of the stack. The rain flap will also deflect most of the exhaust away from you if positioned right.

Same here except I found the angled tip, positioned away and slightly to the left of center of me works best....cut off at an angle (vertical), no rain cap....used a tin can if it had to sit out overnight.

M.Magis":37ht123h said:
Caustic Burno":37ht123h said:
Stocker Steve":37ht123h said:

I have a bottom exhaust on my 3000, and I prefer it for all times of year except hay season. It drags in the wind row while baling and once started a small fire.
My New Holland exhaust by the front tire which is one of the best designs I have seen. My baby Bota does as well in this thicket that is the best place IMO.
Neighbors New Holland exhaust out the top which is a pain from fumes to catching all kinds of crap . It belonged to my running buddy that passed away in 2017. I maintain it for the Mrs.

Caustic Burno":31gpttrx said:
Stocker Steve":31gpttrx said:

I have 2 that do and I like that, and 3 that don't. The cab'd one is right along the right front support member (not in my face) and exhausts at a 45 angle from the direction of travel.

True Grit Farms":2bkwthau said:
I use a rain flapper turned around backwards on all my open station tractors. They work really good at deflecting the exhaust sound away.

When I had flappers that's the way I turned mine for the same reasons. Once I got sheds to put them in off came the flappers and on went the pipe tips I mentioned earlier.....got tired of listening to them flapping at me. Grin

Latest posts