Tractor Brand a Regional Thing?

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
I'm wondering if certain brands sell better in certain regions.I know the dealer has a lot to do with how many get sold but do some brands have a bigger market in particular regions.
Here things have changed from when i grew up when we had dealers for Ford,Case,John Deere,IH,Allis Chalmers,Massey and Minn.Moline in the county seat.Now there's only Deere and New Holland.You can buy a Case IH a little farther away and and Massey and McCormick/Vermeer in the next city.Kubota is available too.
Dad had Ford and New Holland equipment long before they merged.I still run our old Fords and mostly NH but the baler is a Deere

John Deere , Ferguson and Ford were main brands here 30 yrs ago. A few Oliver and white too. Now it's still JD mainly for the big farmers , NH is making a play for some of this business. The cut markets is every color

Deere and case kubota here

Jw do you remember meadows of Dan ford-nh that's where all of our tractors came from growing up.

I just traded away my two Deutz tractors. They tried to get into the local market back in the 1980's, but never caught on. It's a shame. They were good tractors.

We have 3 local dealers: JD, Mahindra, and the other one sells New Holland and Kubota.

There used to be a Massey Ferguson dealer about 40 miles away, but I don't know if they're still there or not.

skyhightree1":yojj4hyw said:
Deere and case kubota here

Jw do you remember meadows of Dan ford-nh that's where all of our tractors came from growing up.
I think it's still there. Big dealership out in the country with no town nearby.

Here it's JD, Ford/NH, Case/IH will make up 90% of them... Kubota will take 4th, and chinese/india tractors the remainder... If you look at old stuff there's some Oliver, White, David Brown and the likes.
Haying equipment is NH or JD.. Balers and rakes you'll find odd balls.. Gehl, Vermeer, etc

50 years ago there were 19 dealers here, representing every brand. Now there are only two satellite dealers, not even independent dealers anymore, a JD and NH. Both completely useless. One other guy is a depot for an Agco dealer and is at least trying to be helpful. He recently took on the MTZ dealership and I think that will be short term as they aren't as cheap as they old Belarus deals were.

Kubota has no influence here. Dealer brought in big tractor once and I think he had to ship it out to sell it. Only sells small units and law mowers now. Most guys here are either diehard JD, CaseIH or Massey. And then a few of us poor bast@rds that can only afford Belarus prices.

Nesikep":1ycwgc25 said:
Here it's JD, Ford/NH, Case/IH will make up 90% of them... Kubota will take 4th, and chinese/india tractors the remainder... If you look at old stuff there's some Oliver, White, David Brown and the likes.
Haying equipment is NH or JD.. Balers and rakes you'll find odd balls.. Gehl, Vermeer, etc

There all made overseas and assembled here.
You can see whatever brand and size you want in crates at the port in La Porte

JD is tops around here, likely because that's really all that's been available locally. Some Case around, but the dealer is 50 miles or so. NH is gaining ground, and has two pretty decent dealers within 30 miles of us. Only a couple Kubota tractors around that I know of, but they both appear to have been good tractors. We have a Vermeer dealer about 10 miles away that also sells Kioti and several brands of implements.

JD and Case are the biggest here.. I think more people have Case equipment around here (big time 1,000+ acre farmers)

kubota dealer also but they don't have any tractors.

one guy brought up a good point. are any of them made in America? my understanding is john deere over 100 hp are made in America but even there smaller ones are foreign.

John Deere pretty much runs the roost here. On the big, farming tractors you might see some Cat or Case. Once you get to the mid-size and smaller for the ranchers it's JD, Kubota, and NH.

We had a Zetor and Mahindrah dealer but he is gone now. You really can't trust that any of those off brand dealers will be here long term.

In college I worked for a guy that sold Mahindrah, Farm Trac and Deutz. All were nice.

I never understood why Deutz never caught on better. They are some really nice tractors to drive

Brute 23":2nvukv0x said:
I never understood why Deutz never caught on better. They are some really nice tractors to drive

I never understood it either. Those air cooled engines would run forever on a pint of diesel.

Rafter S":32vh4qba said:
Brute 23":32vh4qba said:

I never understood it either. Those air cooled engines would run forever on a pint of diesel.
When they introduced them around here the main complaint was breaking down and not being able to get parts in a timely manner.

Latest posts