Toyota pickup

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Bought a 95 Toyota 4x4 pickup tonight with a V-6. My first Toyota. What are some of the things to watch for? Has a new timing belt, waterpump, radiator, all belts, tie rod ends, new tires, and all filters replaced about 1000 miles ago. The man who owned it is moving from VA to England so it had to sell. Got a good enough deal so I had to try it. 151,000 miles.

Kenny
I have a neighbor who is a retired Toyota mechanic he says to never buy a toyota with less than 150,000 on it because that is when they are just getting broke in and that is also when you can buy them the cheapest
He says you shouldhave at least another 150,000 left in them
I know of a couple he has that have well over 300,000 on them and are still going strong
he says replace the timing belts on them about every 50,000 to 75,000 he says it is just cheap insurance because if it breaks you are out alot of money

Angus Cowman":zve1zz2k said:
he says replace the timing belts on them about every 50,000 to 75,000 he says it is just cheap insurance because if it breaks you are out alot of money

That's right on track. Replace the timing belts about every 50k miles. If it breaks, you could be in for an expensive fix.

We have always run our trucks into the ground. We do all the service and stuff but we really use our stuff. I bought my first toyota last year a 08 Tachoma (sp) with off road package with the V-6. I LOVE IT Got 75000 miles on it so far and the only issue I had was is that I went thru a creek with it and drug the trailer light plug in off. That took out some fuse that wouldnt let me put it in gear.. A few minutes with the old manual out and we were on our way. For a heavy truck I would go with a older dodge 1 ton but for light utility go with toyota. Just my .02

Thanks for the reply's. Looks like I am good for about 50,000 miles before I have to worry a lot.
Papple, this is going to be a coon hunting and check the cows truck. I have been driving a 1 ton 4x4 Dodge for several years and it is good for heavy work but not what I bought this one for.

If a Toyota is good for 300,000 then what is a Chev good for?

(My Silverado was very low maintenance till 170,000 and now I am getting nicked by the drive train and the fuel system.)

Stocker Steve":2pr6fdda said:
If a Toyota is good for 300,000 then what is a Chev good for?

(My Silverado was very low maintenance till 170,000 and now I am getting nicked by the drive train and the fuel system.)
not sure I have had them become junk at 100,000 and some that we never touched and they had close to 300,000 on them when we got rid of them just depends on the individual vehicle I think
because some with 300,000 were worked all of the time and somewith 100,000 were just drivers although all of them were used in construction

I bought 3 in 2000 that were identical 2 of them had over 200,000 before we changed spark plugs
the other one had a rearend, transmission,intake gaskets and both head gaskets replaced before 50,000 miles and the tranny was replaced again at 80,000 so who knows sometimes ya just get a lemon

kenny thomas, I have never owned a v-6 yota, but have owned a Tundra v-8 with a very good experience. I do own a 96 Tacoma with the 2.4,4 cyl, 2wd,5spd. I call it my wheelbarrow, its good for about 600lbs payload. I have got 240k on it, to this day you change oil@ 3k, oil looks like it came out of the bottle when you drain it, uses no oil. I've had no major repairs to drivetrain, just normal stuff. Motor/tranny/rearend stock.
From what I have read on other Toyota sites the only thing V-6 lacks in comparison the the I-4 is MPG, have seen alot of folks talking about mileage well over 200k.
Stocker Steve, I have a delivery service I use, its a 1 man operation and he swears by Chevy's. He has always ran 3/4 ton chevy's. He will run them into the ground. His last one went over 400k, the one he currently drives has some where around 330k. Seems like his biggest issues are the automatic transmissions. He will not carry more than 2k in the bed and does not pull trailers, so its not like the tranny is overloaded.

saltbranch":1yg2v087 said:
kenny thomas, I have never owned a v-6 yota, but have owned a Tundra v-8 with a very good experience. I do own a 96 Tacoma with the 2.4,4 cyl, 2wd,5spd. I call it my wheelbarrow, its good for about 600lbs payload. I have got 240k on it, to this day you change oil@ 3k, oil looks like it came out of the bottle when you drain it, uses no oil. I've had no major repairs to drivetrain, just normal stuff. Motor/tranny/rearend stock.
From what I have read on other Toyota sites the only thing V-6 lacks in comparison the the I-4 is MPG, have seen alot of folks talking about mileage well over 200k.
Stocker Steve, I have a delivery service I use, its a 1 man operation and he swears by Chevy's. He has always ran 3/4 ton chevy's. He will run them into the ground. His last one went over 400k, the one he currently drives has some where around 330k. Seems like his biggest issues are the automatic transmissions. He will not carry more than 2k in the bed and does not pull trailers, so its not like the tranny is overloaded.
I have had hondas, toyotas and Mazdas and all had their problems. Honda accord automatic transmission out at 41000 website search shows that to have been a problem, toyota tacoma all so transmissiom problems, bearing out on top shaft in transmission oil always at recommend level 75000, bearing failure from lack of oil, Honda civic oil pump quite engine locked at 59000 common problem according to mechinic, Mazdas nothing but junk. I have had Fords chevrolets and a cadaliac. All had transmissions installed before 100000. All of these were serviced at the dealers. But I will say this the Fords chevys and caddalic were the most comfortable riding of them all. All things mechanical will break and wear out.

Wow! Hurleyjd you have had your share of trouble with vehicles. My 96 Tacoma is stock and still has the factory clutch in it @ 240k. I am not much on auto trannies in any make of vehicle myself. The only vehicle I have had real trouble with on auto's was my wifes 93 Isuzu Trooper.I am not much on website reporting myself, kind of like lawyers, you can look till you find one that says what you want to hear.
Family vehicles I have had-Chevy Citation, Lincoln TC, Chevy Malibu,Isuzu Trooper, Dodge minivan, Currently a Saturn minivan.
Personal use trucks- 75 3/4 ton chevy with 290 straight six, 3 spd on tree, 78 f150 straight 6, 3 on the tree, 87 f 150- straight 6, 4spd OD.......WHY did Ford/Chevy quit making the straight 6 Motor? Forgot the Dodge d100 with slant six,3 on tree, had one of those a 76 model. I traded the 87 Ford in on the 96 Yota, very good move for me. In 01 I bought the Tundra when times were good, when times got tight it was sold.
Work trucks- all are bought as standard tranny's- All pulled/pull a 40' gooseneck in the hotshot business.
1st one was a 85' F-350,6.9 IDI, 4spd, bought used with 130k on it... only problems was the headgaskets and cam.. sold it it 446k miles
1989 F-350, 7.3 IDI non turbo, 5spd..now this was a good truck. Bought used with around 90 k if I remember right. Put out of service in 97 with around 500k on it. Using it as the ranch truck now
I went dodge in 97 cuz I was not gonna pay the $ for the Powerstroke injectors when time to replace.. I had h$ll with 5spd in the 97 dodge, the 5th gear nut backing off. At 200k miles and 5 tranny fixes, I installed a Allison 545 Auto and an old Brownie 3spd behind it. Ran it up near 500k and traded it off on a 01 Dodge 1 ton flatbed which now has 330k on it. When the boom was on back in 04 I bought a dodge crewcab 1 ton pickup to put the G/N on, its at about 230k. The 01 and 04 are still in business with drivers in them, not sure how much longer, but they are paid for.

The only issue with older Toyotas is parts sometimes have to come from Japan. I have an 08 Tundra that rats got into the engine harness in early Jan '21. The harness had to come from Japan and since it was the middle covid, the truck spent 3 months in the shop. So, guess what, I bought another Tundra, so now I have two. I love those trucks: austere, strong, and reliable.

No, it's a 1995 with a 3.0.
Here is a nice Reman.. Make a nice New Years present.

Toyota V6 Engine 3.0L 3vze, 3vz v6 Long Block 1988-1995

3-5 year/unlimited mileage parts warranty covered nationwide.

PLEASE CALL FOR SHIPPING TIMES.

This Newly Remanufactured 3vze, 3vz Toyota V6 Engine fits :
1988 - 1995 Toyota pickups, Toyota 4 Runners with a 3vze, 3vz 3.0 v6. engine.
This is a factory built assembly line unit with

• New Over Size Pistons, Rings,
  • New Main and Rod Bearings components.
  • New Oil pump
  • New Master Gasket Set
  • New Timing Belt
  • New Thrust Bearings
  • Newly Remanufactured Heads
This 3vze, 3vz Toyota V6 Engine comes in long block form. This 3zve, 3vz Toyota V6 engine will carry a factory backed 3 year/unlimited mileage parts warranty covered nationwide. Yes, 3 years! This engine is sold exchange, a REFUNDABLE CORE DEPOSIT of $500.00 will be added to the final sale price. Your core must be tunable for core credit. Core is the crank, block, heads, and any part of. Pay the return shipping and will refund your core deposit on return of your old 3vze, 3vz Engine. Buyer pays flat $250.00 for shipping to a store front. (SHIPPING TO MOST OF THE USA) ADD $75.00 IF SHIPPED TO A HOUSE, AND $75.00 FOR LIFT GATE SERVICE! Shipping out of the city metro to a small town smaller than 60 thousand in population add $100.00 extra.

Shipping to Florida add $50.00 Additional Shipping.

Once you have installed your new engine, just put your old engine back in the shipping container, pay the shipping back and we send a truck to pick it up and your core deposit is refunded back to you on return arrival of your good core. This is the same engine we supply Toyota dealers a

The mechanic that did my forester got a similar deal... reman engine for the forester with the 3 yr warranty... worth the money and I stop and have him just check it once every couple months so that there is nothing to void the warranty... but I am no mechanic so it is worth it for him to just run the computer thing on it.. and I make sure I keep a check on the fluids and get the oil changed etc...
When my son needed something shipped, with all the "restrictions" for the shipping... he had it shipped to VDOT at work and all those extra costs went away... You could get it shipped to the place where the trailers are made that you haul everywhere... they don't charge so much extra if it goes to a business like that.

Latest posts