Toyota pickup

Help Support CattleToday:

I rank 4wd right up there behind the steering wheel and the brake pedal when I am looking at vehicles. It has gotten me out of way more shytt then it ever got me in I promise you.

39K since 02 is not evidence of doing much for any stretch of time.
Probably 80% of that mileage is pulling something. I laugh at these people running up and down the road with their 3500 at 12mpg diesel with a bag of trash in the back. My daily drive is a Ranger that the computer says gets 25.7mpg.

My little 94 (95?) 2wd ranger gets 23-26 all the time... manual trans.... rollup windows... nothing electric... over 200,000... ? Odometer doesn't go that high so not really sure anymore. I use the 2 subaru's for work and other running around... we keep the big 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for feeding and pulling the trailers etc. And they are all 2000 or older....

Fwd has a lot more applications than mud. On sharp rocky ground fwd will save you a lot of ruined tires. The ability to crawl over rough ground vs tires spinning prevents lots of damage. The low gear range is very useful as well. Back in the day of locking hubs i would often shift into the low range starting a heavy load of bales in the pasture but never lock in the hubs. I really can't see any logic in buying a truck without four wheel drive.

I heard it say that the 4WD will get you stuck a little further into the mud. They sure are nice for slick ground. Sometimes I spin my wheels in the black clay soil and I'm not even stuck.

I was starting to thing they didn't make 2WD trucks anymore. Haven't seen one in ages. I think it would be awful hard to trade one off around here.
I like not packing tire chains with me.

I was starting to thing they didn't make 2WD trucks anymore. Haven't seen one in ages. I think it would be awful hard to trade one off around here.
I like not packing tire chains with me.
I actually found 2 Toyota trucks today in 2 wheel drive. Of course both had a 4 cylinder engine.

I had a 2 wd toyota with a 22R engine and it ran forever until I had an accident and totalled it... can you convert the truck to use the 4 cyl engine?
I ask that question today and was told yes it could be done but I would loose a lot of power. I doubt it would because I had very little power before.
Good news is a guy that is a good diesel mechanic for Kenworth and I lease a farm from told me tonight to just let him rebuild it for me on his days off. The price he told me is very reasonable. Think I will go that route.

Latest posts