Toyota Flatbed

Help Support CattleToday:

Flying G

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone on here has ever built a flatbed for a toyota tacoma or pickup as they were called before 95. I have one that I love for fuel mileage and manuverability but I would really like to flatbed it and put a hay spear on it. I was just wondering if anyone on here had ever done it and if so I would love to see some pictures. I want to try and get it done this summer before feeding starts next fall.
Thanks

I have seen a couple of older Toyota flatbeds around here so I'm guessing people use them. I don't have any experience with them but they seem like they would be a little to light to do much hay hauling with.

Last year I mostly parked my Chev HD 3500 for our 92 Toyota 2 WD pick up, 29 MPG :D . I'll use it to haul hay if I only need a few bales from one barn to another ....... 400 lbs of hay and I'm worried a bit, worthless as a serious hauler, one or two small square bales at a time most of the time, 6 bags of feed and my big butt.

Yeah this would not be for long hauls but more just getting hay out of the lot and putting it in the pasture. The little truck gets 22mpg and with 4wd as light as it is I can go nearly anywhere and crawl around on top of everything. I live a 100 miles from my cows so I like driving a mileage mobile when I can and I have a dually when I need to haul something. Ill see what I can come up with and maybe add some pictures when I get it done. Might put an air compressor under the bed and small tool box under each side, make it as handy as I can.

I had a 84 s-10 I put a flatbed on,worked real nice, no spear , 1200 lbs on the bed was hard on it. Gotta be careful when building it though,the factory bed on the yota is light so the flatbed will be heavier most likely. I built a hay buggy, one with forks and hand winch to use behind my 96 Tacoma and that worked great.Some of the real heavy bales would lift the back tires off the ground, but when the trailer broke over it towed easy. I too think a moving bales with a spear is going to be too heavy for the truck

We had a fellow come in a while back with a late 80s early 90s model Toyota that wanted a goose neck hitch installed. So we did it and he bought a 16 foot gn cattle trailer and drove away. We never saw him again.

Bale buggy might be the way to go I do agree for the large 5x5 grass rolls. If I do it I am going to at the very least put air shocks on the rear.

circlew":21xwghht said:
We had a fellow come in a while back with a late 80s early 90s model Toyota that wanted a goose neck hitch installed. So we did it and he bought a 16 foot gn cattle trailer and drove away. We never saw him again.

R.I.P. ????????

In the '80's my BIL at the time had a couple of Toyota or Nissan flatbeds with dual rear wheels. He used them to make light deliveries for his lumber biz in LA. Bought them from someone "out in the valley" with a conversion business. Likely they could have carried a round bale, but not in mud.

Ouachita":3m7smd84 said:
circlew":3m7smd84 said:

R.I.P. ????????

It was before my time here. I just know that they said he never came back. Probably got a bigger truck and is still pulling the same trailer.

Flying G":1jkf9lqq said:
I was wondering if anyone on here has ever built a flatbed for a toyota tacoma or pickup as they were called before 95. I have one that I love for fuel mileage and manuverability but I would really like to flatbed it and put a hay spear on it. I was just wondering if anyone on here had ever done it and if so I would love to see some pictures. I want to try and get it done this summer before feeding starts next fall.
Thanks

Lots of these with flats beds on in Oz, and they can carry a ton, not sure they would stand up to a lot of use with a hay spear. They are also no where near as stable when loaded as a bigger truck.

I removed my truck bed and fabricated the whole thing by hand! I wanted some extra capacity for my haul, it cost a bit but it was worth it.