Toxic fescue knowledge? Non toxic fescue knowledge?

Help Support CattleToday:

None, they won;t persist like the endophyte types. A better choice is the various ones with a novel(friendly) endophyte. That's as far as I go with them. We dilute the toxic endophyte with clover and haven;t had any issues other then the fescue going dormant in the heat of the summer.

At what point in a dietary percentage does endophyte fescue start to become a problem? I did plant some low endophyte fescue and it died the second winter, the alfalfa did wonderfully this year in that field though.

Nesikep":2ljvcnhv said:
At what point in a dietary percentage does endophyte fescue start to become a problem? I did plant some low endophyte fescue and it died the second winter, the alfalfa did wonderfully this year in that field though.
It seems to sort of depend on the cow. For us it' well over 50% of their diet and we haven;t had issues in years. Cows that have never had it don;t seem to have to have very much and they go downhill fast. Right now ours are on probably close to 90% KY31 and they seem to do fine. No issues and the calves are growing well considering we haven;t had any rain to speak of for months. Grass isn;t growing and it's dry and crunchy.

The percentage of harmful endophyte varies from plant to plant. Some can be 10%, others 90%. The harmful endophyte is in the seed planted and will not vary after the plant is established.
The Endophyte Free varieties did not pan out. Fescue needs an endophyte to remain hardy.
Endophyte friendly types are the best of both worlds. The plant is hardy and the endophyte used is not harmful to animals.

Next time I look at fescue I'll try and find an endophyte friendly one.. In my area, with lots of alfalfa and clover, as well as other grasses I don't think they'd ever see more than about 30-40% fescue.
Thanks for the info :)

Nesikep":125k04l6 said:
Next time I look at fescue I'll try and find an endophyte friendly one.. In my area, with lots of alfalfa and clover, as well as other grasses I don't think they'd ever see more than about 30-40% fescue.
What kind of fescue do you have. When I was in washington I never heard of KY31, it was all meadow fescue, chewings red fescue, etc.

dun":2goesvpj said:
Nesikep":2goesvpj said:
What kind of fescue do you have. When I was in washington I never heard of KY31, it was all meadow fescue, chewings red fescue, etc.

We have plenty KY31 and Alta around and plenty of other varieties of tall fescue too. The endophytes aren't nearly the issue here as they are in the Southeast. I have been told by the experts it has to do with climate.

Dave":1592n6qz said:
dun":1592n6qz said:
Nesikep":1592n6qz said:

We have plenty KY31 and Alta around and plenty of other varieties of tall fescue too. The endophytes aren't nearly the issue here as they are in the Southeast. I have been told by the experts it has to do with climate.
I would like more information on the climate affect. I have never heard or read that theory. I have read where the endophyte did not discriminate by region. The endophyte is in the seed, the initial seed planted. If a plant has the endophyte it will always have the endophyte. It will not transfer or spread to other non infected fescue plants.
I read where one field of fescue had 10% infection and made fat healthy cattle. The man's neighbor was impressed and planted the same brand of fescue. His cattle did not do well in either grazing or hay harvested. This fescue tested 85% infected. It depends on how infected the field being harvested for seed.

I am trying something crazy this year... We are taking 13 acres (split in an 8 acre pasture and two 5 acre pastures) and planting BarOptima along with some red clover. Our existing stand is K31 mostly, and we have lost some due to the drought a few years ago, so there are several bare spots. I do not want to kill the existing stand, but thicken it for better production. So I have talked with many different people, extension agents, seed suppliers, and other cattlemen to come up with my idea. I plan on drilling the Bar Optima at 12 pounds an acre, along with the clover (I think 5 pounds an acre) into the existing field. The BarOptima E34 is an endophyte friendly fescue. I have not had specific problems with fescue, but do have cows that do not shed off, and pant more than others. I suspect they are fescue cows, but not sure. I have no way of knowing which plant is which in the field once it grows, but hope to see a difference in our gains and overall look of the cattle. We manage intensive graze, so rotate in and out of those fields maybe twice during the growing season, along with taking a cutting for hay if the weather cooperates. I. Hope it works, and will try to remember to update you all. Now I just need a good rain around the first of September!

Fire Sweep Ranch":16zn3gez said:
I am trying something crazy this year... We are taking 13 acres (split in an 8 acre pasture and two 5 acre pastures) and planting BarOptima along with some red clover. Our exhististing stand is K31 mostly, and we have lost some due to the drought a few years ago, so there are several bare spots. I do not want to kill the existing stand, but thicken it for better production. So I have talked with many different people, extension agents, seed suppliers, and other cattlemen to come up with my idea. I plan on drilling the Bar Optima at 12 pounds an acre, along with the clover (I think 5 pounds an acre) into the exhisting field. The BarOptima E34 is an endophyte friendly fescue. I have not had specific problems with fescue, but do have cows that do not shed off, and pant more than others. I suspect they are fescue cows, but not sure. I have no way of knowing which plant is which in the field once it grows, but hope to see a difference in our gains and overall look of the cattle. We manage intensive graze, so rotate in and out of those fields maybe twice during the growing season, along with taking a capturing for hay if the weather cooperats. I. Hope it works, and will try to remember to update you all. Now I just need a good rain around the first of September!
Don't forget to update us later when you come to some conclusion. I had the same idea. Just haven't done anything.

Latest posts