Town kids - unrealistic expectations

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Grandson will be a senior in HS this year. Git himself a summer job of pulling weeds for people in his town. 10 bucks an hour he's being paid.

dun":3ku7amqc said:
Grandson will be a senior in HS this year. Git himself a summer job of pulling weeds for people in his town. 10 bucks an hour he's being paid.

I bet when you were his age you worked all day for two shillings.

dun":4tizh3nd said:

Tell the boy I'll undercut him at $9.00. That's still a far cry better than I'm getting paid now. :help:

Summer before my senior year I worked for a friends dad while he was at reserves. $5.00 a day and room and board, milked a cow at daylight, hauled hay all day, milked her at night and after dinner raked hay til dark, and believe me board was nuthin to write home about.(if I had wrote home about it my momma woulda told me to shut up and eat it anyway)

My, how times have changed.

3waycross":9sldeiti said:
Summer before my senior year I worked for a friends dad while he was at reserves. $5.00 a day and room and board, milked a cow at daylight, hauled hay all day, milked her at night and after dinner raked hay til dark, and believe me board was nuthin to write home about.(if I had wrote home about it my momma woulda told me to shut up and eat it anyway)

My, how times have changed.
When I was his age I spent one entire summer pulling rusty nails from sued lumber. My pay for the entire summer was a pair of used boots.

Heck minimum wage is now $7.25 an hour!!! Adjusted to 50 hours a week and that is close to what I made coming out of college with an Animal Science degree in the early 90s. Since only the heavy druggies, the (non-English speaking) illegals, and them who don't show up half the time actually work for minimum wage, most of the time, $10 an hour for a hard working cleancut English speaking kid who is dependable and reliable might really be market price!! Heaven help me if I need day labor!!

Speaking of day labor. I was in Arlington on Friday taking my son to get his physical and I saw those guys everywhere on South Cooper street. I've never seen so many of them around there. Maybe they know something I don't?

Every major population center has that place where you pick up day laborers. In the Birmingham, AL area it is Lorna Road in Hoover. I went through there one morning and there must have been 500 Latinos waiting for a pickup to turn in and start negotiating. When I was building fences, I just went too the State employment office and they referred people to me (probably would have done better hiring illegals looking back on it).

Brandonm22":b6nuu8i4 said:
Every major population center has that place where you pick up day laborers. In the Birmingham, AL area it is Lorna Road in Hoover. I went through there one morning and there must have been 500 Latinos waiting for a pickup to turn in and start negotiating. When I was building fences, I just went too the State employment office and they referred people to me (probably would have done better hiring illegals looking back on it).
The illegals would sure have done a lot more work.
I hired a kid that just graduated from HS this year. He's going to do a lot of welding and concrete pouring. 8 bucks an hour

he is getting paid good.an pulling weeds is hard hot work.last year i hired a high school kid todo some work here an paiod him $8 an hr.

When I was in the landscape and irrigation business in the 90's, some of the sorriest day workers I hired (some only lasted a 1/2 day) were highschool football and other leatherneck types. Next in line to "sorry" were some of the temp works suppliers (e.g., guy wearing sandals and shorts to do site clean-up work, a guy wearing jogging clothes and sneakers to do digging for a french drain, etc.). One guy showed up in "dress clothes" and new western boots---he took off his boots to lay sod---I sent him back to the Temp Agency...

Some of the "best" workers I had hired were Harley type Bikers, latinos, and 20-30 something women. Go figure!

I had two kids ask me repeatedly for work. Finally, I hired them to help move a squeeze tub and chute. One threw up in the first half hour. It was a hot day, but not THAT hot. Sad excuse for young men. Air conditioning should be limited to people over 40.

I had hundreds of tons of limestone that needed to be chopped on the rock cutter. I had tried about everything and gave up on hired help. A college intern was here in engineering for the summer and wanted to give it a try. So I told him I'd pay him $25 a ton for chopped rock. Working evenings and weekends he chopped 115 tons the first week. He felt guilty about taking the check. That was when I explained to him the rock was already sold for $90 a ton.

That kid new how to work and had excellent ethics. His parents ought to be proud.

backhoeboogie":2lcrgncq said:
I had hundreds of tons of limestone that needed to be chopped on the rock cutter. I had tried about everything and gave up on hired help. A college intern was here in engineering for the summer and wanted to give it a try. So I told him I'd pay him $25 a ton for chopped rock. Working evenings and weekends he chopped 115 tons the first week. He felt guilty about taking the check. That was when I explained to him the rock was already sold for $90 a ton.

That kid new how to work and had excellent ethics. His parents ought to be proud.

You don't get to be an engineer without a good work ethic. The other ethics most likely did come from his folks.

backhoeboogie":1cj5a4a4 said:
Not all "kids" are worthless. Some are innovative and figure a way to get 'er done.

My dad use to say "If you want to find a quick and easy way to do something...hire a lazy man".

Latest posts