Towing Capacity

Help Support CattleToday:

txfishing

Reaction score
I'm hoping we can stay away from what brand is better type discussion.

I've looked up tow capacity of several 3/4 ton trucks and per the specs the max tow capacity falls around 15000 - 16000 lbs.

However I've seen 3/4 trucks pulling much more weight (almost double). For example it's common to see a dually towing 22 (4x5) round bales aprox 26000lbs or the equivalent in cattle etc..

Are these guys modifying the truck or just exceeding the manufacture padded recommendations.

Thanks!

txfishing":3tl5om2q said:
I've looked up tow capacity of several 3/4 ton trucks and per the specs the max tow capacity falls around 15000 - 16000 lbs.

Which one's. I haven't seen that.

I've seen these on the http://www.Edmunds.com website.

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500-Maximum Towing Capacity 15700
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Maximum Towing Capacity 12000
2007 Ford F-350 Super Duty V10 Maximum Towing Capacity 15000

Obviously some specs will vary some with different truck packages (cab, Engine size etc..) What am I missing?

txfishing":3qjsjhky said:
I've seen these on the http://www.Edmunds.com website.

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500-Maximum Towing Capacity 15700
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Maximum Towing Capacity 12000
2007 Ford F-350 Super Duty V10 Maximum Towing Capacity 15000

None of them are 3/4 ton. Those are 1 ton.

My mistake I meant 1 Ton.
Okay, I thought I was missing something. Shouldn't the 1 ton have more towing capacity?

Okay, I thought I was missing something. Shouldn't the 1 ton have more towing capacity? How are these guys towing 26K with a 1 ton? Truck mods or just loading it up?

Sorry for the 1 Ton vs 3/4 Ton confusion.

txfishing":3782r1sn said:
Okay, I thought I was missing something. Shouldn't the 1 ton have more towing capacity? How are these guys towing 26K with a 1 ton? Truck mods or just loading it up?

Sorry for the 1 Ton vs 3/4 Ton confusion.

We haul more hay than the law will allow.

My question is more for what is meant by Max Tow Capacity on any truck.

I thought this number was the max weight you should ever tow or else things (transmission, suspension etc..) would probably start to break once you exceed this number.

Maybe it's the number the factory draws the line on what it reccomends. But not really the full capacity of the truck.

txfishing":31l3wwjw said:

I thought this number was the max weight you should ever tow or else things (transmission, suspension etc..) would probably start to break once you exceed this number.

Maybe it's the number the factory draws the line on what it reccomends. But not really the full capacity of the truck.

We tow a 24 foot trailer with 15 1000 pound bails 8 miles ever year many times. We use a F250 Superduty and she eats it up.

Those ratings state what the truck itself should not exceed when loaded. Thats the weight of the two axles of the truck combined. Hope that clears that up. Kyle

txfishing":2i257d3p said:

As I understand it, the Maximum Towing Capacity is the total weight the pick-up/truck was designed to safely tow with no possibility of causing damage (either immediate or long-term) to the pick-up/truck. It would appear that not many people pay attention to this, however, as I have seen many, many people pull in here with a 1/2 ton pick-up (of various makes and models) and pull out towing a trailer loaded with 4 or 5 ton of hay.

I believe that it is more of a warranty related question. From an engineering perspective all systems have an operating envolope in which they were designed to operate for a given amount of time with an acceptable failure rate. That failure rate and length of time is determined by the business model for the manufacture from the standpoint that the business model has dictated the system cost (and hence performance). So the 3 design tradeoff factors are cost, performance (failure rate), and warrany. The later determining how many repairs they can afford to make and still make a profit. Hence, if you are operating a system (vehicle in this case) outside of its opeating envolope you are increasing the probability of a failure sooner than the warranty will support. The further outside of the envolope you operate the system the higher the probablity of a failure. With vehicles, it is obviously possable to operate them them far enough outside of their designed operating envolope that safety becomes an issue.

dcara":28lmkot9 said:
I believe that it is more of a warranty related question. From an engineering perspective all systems have an operating envolope in which they were designed to operate for a given amount of time with an acceptable failure rate. That failure rate and length of time is determined by the business model for the manufacture from the standpoint that the business model has dictated the system cost (and hence performance). So the 3 design tradeoff factors are cost, performance (failure rate), and warrany. The later determining how many repairs they can afford to make and still make a profit. Hence, if you are operating a system (vehicle in this case) outside of its opeating envolope you are increasing the probability of a failure sooner than the warranty will support. The further outside of the envolope you operate the system the higher the probablity of a failure. With vehicles, it is obviously possable to operate them them far enough outside of their designed operating envolope that safety becomes an issue.

Good assessment.

I have a 3/4 ton Chevy Diesel and 1 ton Ford Diesel. I often exceed the capacity/ rating. Much of it has to do with terrain and excellent trailer brakes. There are hills in this area but not extreme grades. For me it is not a matter or pulling but rather a matter of stopping. You are pretty much dealing with electric brake systems and I have blown fuses. Granbury, TX is the worst in the world for people pulling right out in front of me when I am loaded (or unloaded). Good tires and good brake systems are a must. When I have a 30,000 load to pull, I make sure I pull it when I can avoid traffic and when I can creep along at about 50 MPH.

The front end on Chevy and Ford trucks have both held up well for me. Dodge didn't make it 30K. Diesel engines are heavy. When you are pulling miles across leases with a 20,000 pound Caterpillar or backhoe on a 5,000 pound trailer, you are often rendered having to pull hard across rough terrain in order to make it up hills etc. If you creep along, you are going to spin out and ruin some expensive tires. Pulling fast is hard on suspensions. If I were just pulling on mild terrain, I'd buy a Dodge, since they are much cheaper. I'll never buy another one based on my particlular needs and it has nothing to do with pulling capacity but rather where I pull.

There is a huge difference between pulling loads across pastures and pulling on pavement. None of the trucks have heavy enough receiver hitches for me. The first thing I do when I buy a truck is add and heavier category receiver hitch. Again, if I were just pulling on pavement, the factory receivers may be okay.

So when you look at the ratings, you have to consider where you are going to be working that vehicle. Pretty much all the diesel trucks have enough H.P and transmission to pull way more than the vendor ratings on flat ground and pavement, if you have enough trailer to carry the load.

I have a 3/4 ton Chevy Diesel and 1 ton Ford Diesel. I often exceed the capacity/ rating. Much of it has to do with terrain and excellent trailer brakes. There are hills in this area but not extreme grades. For me it is not a matter or pulling but rather a matter of stopping. You are pretty much dealing with electric brake systems and I have blown fuses. Granbury, TX is the worst in the world for people pulling right out in front of me when I am loaded (or unloaded). Good tires and good brake systems are a must. When I have a 30,000 load to pull, I make sure I pull it when I can avoid traffic and when I can creep along at about 50 MPH.

The front end on Chevy and Ford trucks have both held up well for me. Dodge didn't make it 30K. Diesel engines are heavy. When you are pulling miles across leases with a 20,000 pound Caterpillar or backhoe on a 5,000 pound trailer, you are often rendered having to pull hard across rough terrain in order to make it up hills etc. If you creep along, you are going to spin out and ruin some expensive tires. Pulling fast is hard on suspensions. If I were just pulling on mild terrain, I'd buy a Dodge, since they are much cheaper. I'll never buy another one based on my particlular needs and it has nothing to do with pulling capacity but rather where I pull.

There is a huge difference between pulling loads across pastures and pulling on pavement. None of the trucks have heavy enough receiver hitches for me. The first thing I do when I buy a truck is add and heavier category receiver hitch. Again, if I were just pulling on pavement, the factory receivers may be okay.

So when you look at the ratings, you have to consider where you are going to be working that vehicle. Pretty much all the diesel trucks have enough H.P and transmission to pull way more than the vendor ratings on flat ground and pavement, if you have enough trailer to carry the load.

Great post backhoe! That has to be one of the best "application considerations" explanations I've seen.

txfishing":e1ia6sui said:
For example it's common to see a dually towing 22 (4x5) round bales aprox 26000lbs or the equivalent in cattle etc..

Thanks!

4x5 bales only weigh about 900 pounds around here.
gabby

Latest posts