tough steak

Help Support CattleToday:

Try it. I have got to hear this.

I wouldn't return it, but that's personal. I can see lots of external factors on this one - first what was the quality grade?

I've bought some steaks recently that I thought were high select and graded select, but were very tough. I wished I thought about returning them.

I bought a loin from super walmart for about 90.00 thought I would cut my own stakes and save a little money. I realized after I cut the first few stakes that there wasnt hardly any marbling.
Cooked a couple on the grill last night and they had a good flavor but they were tough as a boot.
Any way , I am debating on taking them back or making stew out of them. Just makes me ill to pay that much for something and it be less than I expected.

Learned long ago not to buy meat from Wally World, and as little else as possible.

denoginnizer":4uilgcwd said:
I bought a loin from super walmart for about 90.00 thought I would cut my own stakes and save a little money. I realized after I cut the first few stakes that there wasnt hardly any marbling.
Cooked a couple on the grill last night and they had a good flavor but they were tough as a boot.
Any way , I am debating on taking them back or making stew out of them. Just makes me ill to pay that much for something and it be less than I expected.

That's what Select is all about.

dun

Isn't this one of the reasons that we keep one back for ourselves?
We always have a freezer full (choice & prime), haven't bought beef for years. Never had a tough steak from our steers either.
DMc

i have a small feed lot here in az, sell freezer beef in 1/4- 1/2 packages (am licensed and inspected) if ANY of mycustomers have a complaint i want to hear about it! be it tuff steak ect!!!had on customer complain several yrs back about a roast the was like shoe leather, had him cut me a piece and met him to taste it! YEP SHOE LEATHER! held it out and it was like a piece of jerky, i asked him how3 he had cooked it!
said about 6 hrs at 450 2# roast i replaced it and gave him suggestions on how to properly cook it. called me the next day to tell me how good it was!
point sometimes it is the cook !!
as far as wal mart meat is concerned or any major chain you can complain but it won't do ya a lot of good!!
try to find a little mom pop store usually a lot better quality of meats from them!! and the customer is important!!! OR buy from a package seller!

I have been cooking steaks for quite some time . It was the steak.
I bought a big package of steaks from Winn Dixie a few years back. When I got them home and opened the package the smell was overwhelming. I called and they said bring them back with no problem. They even mysteriosly knew that they were T-bones.

didn't mean to imply you did not know how to cook a steak!
it was just a statement meant to say some folks blame the meat not the way it is cooked !!! :D

I wish I could find a mom and pop shop in my area. Everyone is so concerned with saving a few pennies they have put mom and pop out of business and replaced it with super box stores. People here want cheap first ,then conveniant , then quality.

denoginnizer":3b4qs27g said:

I think WalMart will take anything back. My cousin took a VCR back after using it almost two years and they never said a word. Call and ask.

Most WalMarts sell Select beef and it's more likely to be tough. Look around and see if any other supermarkets sell Choice or better. I have to go to a meat market to get Choice here and to Oklahoma City to get CAB.

Frankie":2j8kqd8v said:
denoginnizer":2j8kqd8v said:

I think WalMart will take anything back. My cousin took a VCR back after using it almost two years and they never said a word. Call and ask.

Most WalMarts sell Select beef and it's more likely to be tough. Look around and see if any other supermarkets sell Choice or better. I have to go to a meat market to get Choice here and to Oklahoma City to get CAB.
I'm not much on going back on a deal. Eat your 90.00 stew meat and don't buy there again. Lesson learned. BTW give them 90.00 worth of advertising.

Latest posts