Tough Question to answer

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a buddy who got into home inspections the last few years. He's always busy, and they are like 400 bux a pop. Couple a day and you're sitting pretty as you don't really have much for expenses.

JMJ Farms":3e3wmesr said:
skyhightree1":3e3wmesr said:
He doesn't mind working for sure.

If that remains the case then he should do well at whatever he chooses.

When it was 97 degrees he never complained while we were putting down sod heat and dirty work doesn't bother him.

I know two different people that do lawn maintenance both do well and both are hard workers. They don't just mow they do it all spray ,trees, flowers. the one man his whole family is in it they will raise their own flowers in a green house and put your flowers in or anything you need done they will dig a ditch if you need one and have the money. They are worth a lot money.
Good heat and air people are hard to find in this parts A course offered in most vo-tec schools. Its not always the kind of business you start its how you treat people and the kind of work you do. Cheat some one or do a bad job now days and they get on social media and take you down

Fencing has been good to me. In this economy plenty of work out there in all parts of the country. Do a quality job and you will have more work than you can handle. But you have to know how to do it right. To start I figure you would need about a $1k in small tools, and of course a pickup truck and trailer. Post driver is optional, plenty of people started with an auger and did it the hard way until they could afford a pounder.

A couple of thoughts.
1. Identify a local need that is not being adequately met and fill it with a better solution.

One way of finding a better solution would be after identifying the need, search to find how successful businesses
solve the problem in other states or distant counties in your state and introduce that business model into your area.

skyhightree1":29zo9g97 said:
I think this may be a good thing as average wells cost 7500 here for drilled wells

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Water-Well-Drill ... SwAKxWZw6t

Depending on how well the need for new water wells is being met in your area that's an excellent idea.
With a growing population outside of city water supplies, I could foresee demand for clean reliable water sources
continue to grow and become even more important in the years ahead. I'd suggest he work for an experience driller
and become familiar with water witching and well repair before jumping head long into the business.
Selling and installing home water filtration systems and water softeners would be compatible with offering well service
repair and drilling too.

Son of Butch":2xi2ab14 said:
I'd suggest he customize it to his talents and what he enjoys doing. Attitude about what you do for a living goes a
long way in maintaining enthusiasm. What does he know and what is he good at?

With very little life experience (soon turning 18) and limited work experience perhaps consider a franchise in his
area of interest. Most are spendy, but there are some you can get into for under 25k and sweat equity.
find his passion

fence_it":21443han said:
Fencing has been good to me. In this economy plenty of work out there in all parts of the country. Do a quality job and you will have more work than you can handle. But you have to know how to do it right. To start I figure you would need about a $1k in small tools, and of course a pickup truck and trailer. Post driver is optional, plenty of people started with an auger and did it the hard way until they could afford a pounder.

Granted I'm not in the fencing business for a living, but I THOUGHT an auger was WAS the easy way. Weve used hand held, wooden handled, sometimes dull, rickety, post hole diggers for years. I still dislike them. The first time I used an auger I thought I was in heaven. I still don't own an auger. What I'm getting at is that I've never had the privilege to use or be around a post driver/pounder but if it's that much better than an auger I want to experience that before I hang up fencing :nod:

JMJ Farms":3vt0kl0h said:
fence_it":3vt0kl0h said:

Granted I'm not in the fencing business for a living, but I THOUGHT an auger was WAS the easy way. Weve used hand held, wooden handled, sometimes dull, rickety, post hole diggers for years. I still dislike them. The first time I used an auger I thought I was in heaven. I still don't own an auger. What I'm getting at is that I've never had the privilege to use or be around a post driver/pounder but if it's that much better than an auger I want to experience that before I hang up fencing :nod:

So true Mike! I just set 20 wood posts by hand 2 days ago using post hole diggers. I have a 3 pt auger, but by the time I load the tractor and get everything hooked up and moved to the pasture, I figure I can be half done doing it by hand. I could be wrong too. I also enjoy the labor aspect I suppose. Neighbor has a driver and has offered it up, but I haven't taken him up on it...yet

A service business like plumbing, electrical, heating and air can make him a lot of money.
However, remember not everyone is geared to own a business.
Is he willing to put in the hours until he can name his own jobs?
That takes years and years of hard work.
How self motivated is he? Not just saving money, but on weekends does he want to give up the kid life, the running around and sleeping late? What about tv? He will never watch an entire show without an intrupption.
15k is enough to start that kind of business, but being in business for yourself isn't all some people think. You have hundreds of bosses that all want theirs done first. Need to be a high energy guy, as well as a hard worker and have the personality to want to please everyone and enjoy it.
My thoughts only gs

plumber_greg":1kdwek8l said:
A service business like plumbing, electrical, heating and air can make him a lot of money.
However, remember not everyone is geared to own a business.
Is he willing to put in the hours until he can name his own jobs?
That takes years and years of hard work.
How self motivated is he? Not just saving money, but on weekends does he want to give up the kid life, the running around and sleeping late? What about tv? He will never watch an entire show without an intrupption.
15k is enough to start that kind of business, but being in business for yourself isn't all some people think. You have hundreds of bosses that all want theirs done first. Need to be a high energy guy, as well as a hard worker and have the personality to want to please everyone and enjoy it.
My thoughts only gs

Excellent and accurate post! Only thing I would add, is the ability to manage the frustrations of growing a business and being limited by factors such as finding and training quality employees, staying abreast on the latest technology developments in his particular field, the seemingly endless amount of time you 'give up' providing quotes, estimates, going to training, re-certs, or seminars, etc. I worked plumbing and heating/AC for 12 years. Sometime as an employee and sometime as my own boss. I spent more than one holiday or anniversary with my wife riding shotgun on service calls and spent what felt like just as much time sitting in training classes as I did in the field, just to stay on top of technology changes. The time interviewing and training new help only to have them quit, no call no show, etc can be very frustrating. Excellent money to be made and I would still be doing it if not for unforeseen circumstances. Best of luck to him whichever way he goes.

skyhightree1":s8tp3ps2 said:
I think this may be a good thing as average wells cost 7500 here for drilled wells

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Water-Well-Drill ... SwAKxWZw6t
online tracking ..... bot spyware....
I clicked on ebay link Sky posted above and today a message from ebay appeared in my inbox linking me to it
and asking me to take a closer look...in addition to recommending other drilling rigs for me...... grrrrr

JMJ Farms":wmg6nj4f said:
fence_it":wmg6nj4f said:

Don't want to get the thread off track, but if you think an auger is the easy way you really need to try a hydraulic post driver. Using post hole diggers to build fence is a test of one's sanity, not practical at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNa5aP1cVJE

Definately not a mechanic job unless he can get his rep built up and open his own shop.Too many shops charge an appalling labor rate then give the mechanic around a fourth of it in salary plus a little more in benefits.
Many trades require certifications and then continuing education.There's always a need for good electricians,plumbers,carpenters and the like. A general home repair business would mean a lot of certifications but would keep a steady flow of calls.

Latest posts