Tough Day

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
My husband and his family made the decision to take his father off the respirator. His dad died very peacefully within an hour. My husband has been second guessing his decision ever since.

I posted about his dad about 3 months ago. He was a very active person until he contracted west nile. He was paralyzed from the neck down from the virus. He fought hard from 3 months, but without the ability to cough he couldn't keep the lung infections at bay.

I know my husband made the correct decision. His dad would not want to live like that. Anyway, still a tough decision to make and live with.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's a very tough decision to make. I hope your husband can come to terms with it.

I too am very sorry for your loss. That is a heck of a decision to be placed on a loved one.

God bless all of you and ,my sincere condolences..

Been there, done that. It is horrible to have to make that decision.
But I'm sure your husband and his family made the very best decision they could. He needs to remember this. He did his best and now it is over. Accept that.
Peace.

Check your PM box.

I had to make that decision once and it bothered me for a long time. I know it was the correct decision as I would not want to live that way. You know the correct decision was made, but it still is painful. You still have a life time of precious memories. Peace be with you.
Tom

My condolences. That must have been a terrible descision for your husband to make. My prayers are with you and your family.

In 1978 we pulled the plug on my father after he had been in a coma for about a week at age 84. He also had some serious organ failure.

There is a thing called "Quality of Life". I can't imagine anyone wanting to live paralyzed from the neck down thereby requiring total care by others. (Guess the "Superman" actor was different.). I know I would want someone to pull the plug on me...

Sorry for your loss.

My heart felt sympathies go to you and your Husband, it is hard to make such a decision but you know in your heart of hearts it is the right one. Hopefully once the inishal shock and grief is over he will see this. You are both in my prayers.

ffamom and family;

My deepest sympathies on a very tough, heart-wrenching situation.

May good memories give you peace

Thank you all for the kind words. My husband has read your responses over and over. I think it helps for him to see that others have walked in his shoes and made the difficult decision.

Today was a better day. My father-in-law was a retired firefighter and the fire dept handles a lot of the funeral. Bad part is it takes time to get all the people in place and his funeral is not until Wed.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

sb

I just hope when the time comes for me that someone will be as kind..I personally do not want to live that way. My best wishes to you all,hope this nightmare will be in the past soon,so the healing can start.

There were all sorts of heroic measures I could have taken to prolong Mom's life, but in the end I decided to let her go, as I knew she did not want to live the way she was living. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I wish your husband peace with his decision. He can know now that his dad is free. It was the kindest thing to do. Peace.

Latest posts