Tough amniotic sacs - Vicki?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What might cause the amniotic sac to not break with the birth of a calf? I've not had this problem, but it has been brought up on another board. Apparently some cattle breeders are having several calves where the sac remains intact when the calf is born. One description was "tough, red veined water sack problems." These are apparently full term calves, not abortions. Any ideas?
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

(User Above)":20yhc2tw said:
: What might cause the amniotic sac to not break with the birth of a calf? I've not had this problem, but it has been brought up on another board. Apparently some cattle breeders are having several calves where the sac remains intact when the calf is born. One description was "tough, red veined water sack problems." These are apparently full term calves, not abortions. Any ideas?<p>Could be a placentitis, especially when you mention red veins.....mineral imbalance.....genetic! I've seen calves completely out of the cow with the sac unbroken but that is usually an especially easy calving, the sac looked normal! I'd get fresh amnions and send them to the lab! Good Luck figuring it out!<br>V<br>
<br>

[email protected]

Thanks, Vicki. Another question that came up in this same thread concerns the possibility of endophyte infected fescue causing the problem. <p>I did some reading and can find where endophyte infected fescue can cause toughened and edematous amniotic sacs in horses, but nothing was said about cattle, other than with cattle fescue foot and tails dropping off are the most common problems (due to restricted circulation). <p>Any experience or thoughts?
<br>

Latest posts