Touching up galvanized gates and handling equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Anybody have a recommendation on a type of paint to use to deal with spots that are beginning to rust on galvanized gates, panels and such? I'd rather not go with spray cans but would consider if it was just touching up small problems. Thanks.

I was always told by my metal supplier to use a gloss enamel after welding galv hollow section as the key is to keep the moisture out rather than some of those cold galv paints. I always use an epoxy Rustgard paint in a light grey, it blends in well with the galv and has always protected well for me.

Ken

We sometimes build gates. To touch up the welds we use what I think is called a galvanizing compound. Comes in a spray can.

I also recommend cold galv spray but spend a few extra bucks and get the good stuff. Some of the cheaper brands don't have enough solids in them to do the job correctly. This is the stuff that was always speced when I used to do a bunch of handrails.

https://www.westechrigging.com/crc-zinc ... PJEALw_wcB

If you have a bunch to do, buy a gallon can and put on with a brush. It is way more economical.

Latest posts